Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-8/)
-   -   Replacing SRS ECU (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-8/replacing-srs-ecu-59230/)

Judgey 05-20-2013 06:51 AM

Replacing SRS ECU

Hi,

So just had an auto electrician look at my Freelander 2002 TD4 2L and has confirmed what I already suspected that my SRS ECU is toast.
Located a second hand one with same YMC... code so am hoping I can just do a straight swap?

Also, the auto electrician has offered to come and do the swap for a price but I was wondering if it's an easy job? Carpet is already cut so guessing I would not need to remove dash or anything?

Cheers in advance for any advice

Judgey

Savannah Buzz 05-20-2013 08:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
See attached page from the RAVE. When the RAVE (shop manual set) warns you to do certain things, there are reasons for it. So while the unit is affixed with three Torx bolts, you have to "safe" the air bag system, remove the heater, etc. You should probably download the RAVE and read over all the associated step to decide if you want to do this or pay some one.

Paying a shop with a credit card also gets your the legal team support from the card company in the event you have to dispute charges because they triggered your air bags, etc.

roverguy7 05-20-2013 10:14 AM

Biggest thing with the ECU replacement is bolt it down first, then connect it, then reconnect the battery.

If you have it powered up, and then move it to install it, you can set off air bags.

Take the precautions in RAVE seriously.

Judgey 05-20-2013 01:53 PM

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Rovin4life 05-20-2013 06:28 PM

Yeah, some idiot out of a nj dealer didn't follow the directions on an LR3 and installed a new one on its side without bolting it down and programmed it. Once he programmed the srs module the vehicle thought it had turned over on its side and set all the airbags off. Dealer had to pay for all of it. Met the guy who worked next to him. We know about this warning cause it came out as a bulletin without the backstory soon afterwards.

roverguy7 05-20-2013 08:16 PM

Best I ever saw was a tech that was working on a Jag XK convertible... same thing happened, only that car has rollover bars that bust through the rear window to protect the passengers... That was a mess.

Judgey 05-21-2013 04:22 AM

Will the replacement need reprogramming then?

roverguy7 05-21-2013 08:02 AM

On US Spec cars, yes, it is a VIN coded module, so it needs to be configured. I am not sure about your application, but I would assume so.

Judgey 05-23-2013 02:28 PM

UPDATE: Managed to source a second hand srs ecu for £40, stuck it in and no more light :)

jafir 05-23-2013 02:58 PM

This is the most entertaining read in a long time.