Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-8/)
-   -   Service Engine Soon Warning? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-8/service-engine-soon-warning-45868/)

couzteau 12-11-2011 08:48 PM

Service Engine Soon Warning?

Hi, Just my 2nd day with the disco and already my 2nd post. I auctioned this 2004 Disco with 50k miles. I got it 2 days ago. So I don't know much about the history of the car. I drove about 100 miles yesterday. Everything worked great (except horn - if you wonder about my other post). I went up a mountain in the SF bay area, approx 4000ft altitude, paved roads only.

Today I drove a short distance 5m slow city driving. Left the car off for 1h. When I started again a amber warning light came on:"Service engine soon".

The truck drives perfectly fine, temperature is fine, it accelerates normally, climbs steep hills as expected. I did drive on the highway for a few miles to check wether I would notice any performance loss but the ride felt perfectly fine

The warning doesn't sound very alarming, and reminds me of my old Saab where the "check engine"-light would go on occasionally, i.e. high load at high altitude. And it would turn itself off eventually. But that was an old car with nearly 175k miles. No I'm not sure what to make of this warning, yet it is somewhat discomforting. Of yourse I would be worried that I'm facing an expensive repair.

Is there a common pattern around this warning.

Thanks for advice.

Jacques

Spike555 12-11-2011 09:39 PM

Since you just bought this truck make sure you read the owners manual.
The truck requires premium fuel for starters.
Go to any auto parts store and they can read the trouble codes for free.
Write them down and then post them on here.

lordmorpheus 12-11-2011 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Spike555 (Post 286507)
Write them down and then post them on here.

Write down the code numbers, not what the auto parts scanner thinks the code means ;)

couzteau 12-11-2011 11:05 PM

Will do. Very helpful.

J.

Savannah Buzz 12-11-2011 11:09 PM

couzteau:

Please help yourself to the free download below called the RAVE, it contains all the workshop and owners manuals for you truck.

couzteau 12-12-2011 01:06 AM

Thanks for the pointer - I did also read almost the entire manual immediately front to cover and filled it up with 91 Octane hell V-Power.

Will get back to this thread once i get the errors read.

Savannah Buzz 12-12-2011 05:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And while thinking of something to buy to go with your new ride, consider the Ultra Guage, which plugs into the code reader port, can read codes, reset codes, and act as a display for instruments and programmable alarm points, like water temp. $70.

couzteau 12-12-2011 10:22 AM

Thanks savannah. That sounds like a great tool. When I drove off this morning the warning was gone. :)

Is there still any thing to read in retrospect?

The disco very much is like my old saab. loving it already.

Savannah Buzz 12-12-2011 11:04 AM

Code may still be there, auto parts store will plug in a read. But it is no longer active.

Important general points:

A. on the forum you'll find a 60K mile service list, need to do those items.

B.. Front drive shaft - if it does not have multiple zerk grease fittings need to rebuild, write up in tech area under "propshaft rebuild", under $100 in parts. U-joints die, make a chirping noise, then split and shaft spears a big hole in transmission. Dealer will want $7000.

C. Temperature gauge - designed to show 9:00 for all ranges of temps Rover decided were not unusual. But will show above 9:00 if overheating, and will eventually climb and turn on a red light for engine out of temp range (fried). The Ultra Gauge lets you watch temps, if you normally run 197, and today you are running 230, original gauge might show the same. Over heat is the greatest enemy these engines have.

D. Change oil often, use something diesel rated for extra cleaning, like Shell Rotella, in your area the 15W40 would be good year round, cheap, easy to find, 5000 mile drain interval, no more.

couzteau 12-12-2011 06:08 PM

Thanks for the heads up Savannah. I'm glad to report that the temperature gauge is totally consistently at 9. Seems spot on. I'm taking care of the rest. This is really helpful. Much appreciated.

Q: I don't have a garage where I can work. Do you know how I could find a DIY garage in in or near San Francisco?

Thanks again. J