General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Should I use gasket sealant on water pump on Disco 1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:02 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I use gasket sealant on water pump on Disco 1?

Hi all,

Just a curious question about water pump replacement on my 96 Disco 1. The water pump recently just died on my 96 Disco 1 and I have a new one to replace it. I was having a bear of a time getting the old gasket material off of the engine housing side. I eventually ended using a yellow plastic wheel that I bought at napa parts which is supposed to be used for removing gasket material off of aluminum. Work ok, but there is still some residue on the aluminum housing.

Here's my question, should I use some liquid gasket material on top of the new gasket when I go to put this back together or just the dry gasket?

Also, how would I test the fan clutch to see if it needs to be replaced as well?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I used a red 3m scrubby pad (parts store paint aisle). Plus solvent. In my case, I did not have the swirly paper gasket, and the dealer 50 miles away wanted $18 for one, so I just used RTV. Has worked OK for me. But you would want to use it very thinly with your gasket, when it oozes out, those "buds" fall off and travel in the cooling system.

Save yourself plenty of hassle later - put on a new clutch. Usually pumps and clutches die about same time. A cross over that will screw on to your pump is a Chevy Express van, 2000, 4.3 liter, without air. Bolt holes in fan need to be enlarged slightly and new bolts. For inquiring minds, the "with AC" clutch for the Chevy is 7 inch instead of six inch, does not fit well.

A test for the pump is when truck is warmed up, engine off, spin fan and release. If fan spins more than 1/2 to 1 revolution, it has lost fluid inside and needs to be replaced. It should feel like peanut butter inside (vegemite downunder).

Old 07-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I recommend using aviation sealant on that gasket, but yes, very light coating, a little goes a long way.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Thin, as in you can still see the color of the gasket.