General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

stalling while offroading... then he went crazy on me...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 04:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default stalling while offroading... then he went crazy on me...

the damnedest thing. i was doing some light off roading yesterday, driving up an unpaved road in the hills (my real playground was closed due to rain damage) and when i got to this one campsite where the more technical sections were, it started stalling on me. its done this before. but this time it wouldnt start back up again until i let it sit for a few minutes. but on this one steep hill it stalled. when i tried to start back up the wipers went off once, thought baybe i hit the lever, its happened before (or has it?). didnt fire up. but when i tried again they went on and stayed on till i turned the key back off. i know i idnt hit it that time, and not only that but the back wiper went off.

im thinking maybe my ECU's being silly. or maybe im just having a case of british electronics. or am i not suposed to be running 87 octane through it?

any help would be apreciated.

Old 03-31-2005, 02:04 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: stalling while offroading... then he went crazy on me...

Answer to easy question first: I wouldn't normally run 87 octane. I believe all of the current petrol Rovers require premium fuel, or else you are inviting a whole host of engine issue. Stalling is one of the more benign. I would switch the the recommended octane, and run some injector cleaner through the system. Personally, I also use Lucas gasoline additive that you can get at any NAPA dealer. I get a reasonable boost in mileage for the cost, and it helps me run clean and well lubricated.

The electrics issue could be Lucas striking back from the grave. Lord knows that is a common issue with Rovers. Was it raining or wet out when you had your incident? Has this happened before? If it hasn't, I would probably clean the fuel system and keep an eye out for it. It may have been a one time deal.

Old 04-01-2005, 04:35 AM
Rock Crawling

update -

today was weirder. i went to pick up some food at lunch, and when i got back in to head back, it wouldnt start back up right away, when it fired up again i headed over to and auto parts joint to get some octane booster (originaly planned on it anyway). when i pulled into the parking lot i went over the gutter in the parking lot a bit rougher that Sparky aperently prefered, and he cut out. after i poured the boster in, he proceded to die. i finaly had to give up and walk back to work, as it had been about a half hour. anywho, when i went back tonight i checked a couple of things.

the hardware to keep the battery in place was gone. i figered maybe it rattled arounf a bit too much and started screwing with the electrical system.

as everything seemed to be in order, i tried started up again. nothing wrong at all. the check engine light, which has been on for a couple weeks, was now off. it even seemed to be running better than normal. guess the higher octane fuel finaly got through the lines.

anywho, the last half of my workday sucked. i thought my pride and joy was dead. live and learn i guess,

Old 04-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lucas......

Old 04-02-2005, 02:18 AM
Winching

Bene,
A few things to check on your 94 Disco. Check the ignition coil connectors on the LF fender. If they are still the Factory style spade connectors they need to be replaced. They tend to work themselves loose and/or get corroded. Also, remove your distributor cap and try to turn the rotor. It should turn partially and spring back freely. If not, your ignition timing is way off at idle and could cause stalling. While looking at your distributor, look at the ignition module connector on the side. If it is the original two pin type, this also could be the problem. The updated type is A three pin.

Good luck.

Old 04-02-2005, 02:49 AM
Rock Crawling

thanks a **** load man,

however for whats its worth, it did it again this morning when i went over another gutter. started up again after about 10-20 minutes. im starting to lean toward that loose battery. but ill chack all that other crap you mentioned in the near furture anyway.

seriously dudes. thanks.

Old 04-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG. All of these problems sound like what is going on with my Mini. I guess Lucas hasn't changed too much over the years. Seriously, the electrics can blow you away. I know nothing about Discos, but I have similar probs in my mini which are mostly related to ground wires coming lose. Good luck!

Old 04-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Winching

All of this Lucas talk reminds me of an old joke;

Why do Brits drink warm beer ?

They have Lucas refrigerators !

Sorry Lighting, I couldn't resist

Old 05-01-2005, 04:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle

check your fuel filter, my friend's mazda did pretty much the same thing