Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-8/)
-   -   Transmission problems (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-8/transmission-problems-43224/)

GandAautoLLC 08-24-2011 03:07 PM

Transmission problems

This past weekend we were driving down the road and heard an awful vibrating noise from under the floor....Then all of sudden the front differential drive shaft blew off the yoak on the transfer case. Then the tranny wouldnt respond, just made a horrible crackling noise. Then rolled forward in park. then it locked in park, but wont go in to any gear and makes horrible grinding and cracking noises. I had some one place their foot on the brake and put it in gear to see if it did anything, but nothing happened. We then later put it up on a hoist and took all the parts off, the exhaust, gear box and transmission. The gear box(transfer case) appears to operate just fine, the transmission had clean fluid in it. So, I am about to have some one look at the transmission, professionally and spend some or a lot of money, but Im not sure where to start. Any help before i have some one try to rip me off would be greatly appreciated.

Disco Mike 08-24-2011 03:28 PM

Information would help, what year, model and mileage?
Did the drive shaft hit the tranny at all, is there any oil leaking from it? Did you bend the yoke on the drive shaft?
Let us know what year it is so we can answer further.

GandAautoLLC 08-24-2011 06:41 PM

Tranny problem

Sorry, mine is a 2000 Discovery 2 with the 4.0 engine. The drive shaft didnt do any damage to the tranny. However the yoak with the front drive shaft snapped off the transfer case.

GandAautoLLC 08-24-2011 07:18 PM

The mileage is 89,000

lordmorpheus 08-24-2011 07:49 PM

If the drive shaft didn't do any damage to the transmission, you need to go buy a lottery ticket, because luck is on your side today!

The vehicle will not power itself because the transfer case is sending all power to the front (less resistance with broken/detached shaft). It rolled in park because there is no resistance from the broken/detached shaft, so it is similar to having the transfer case in neutral- park on the transmission will not keep the wheels from turning, because they are no longer connected to the transmission. The grinding during gear selection is because the transmission is spinning already. Normally, moving from park to reverse, neutral, drive is done while stationary and the transmission output shaft is being held still because the drive shafts cannot turn while the brakes are on, but in this case, the transfer case front output shaft is spinning because there is no resistance from the front differential to the wheels.

More than likely, assuming the drive shaft did no damage to the transmission, all you would have needed to do is replace the drive shaft, or at least lock the center differential until the shaft was replaced (since you have a 2000MY) and all would be well.

Spike555 08-24-2011 07:56 PM

You need a new front driveshaft.
Buy a used one, have it rebuilt.
You are back on the road for under $500.

GandAautoLLC 08-24-2011 08:12 PM

So, let me get this right. all I need is the front drive shaft. Its not my transfer case or transmission. Inorder for the D2 to move at all you need power to the front, the rear drive wont power if thats broken.

lordmorpheus 08-24-2011 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by GandAautoLLC (Post 264326)
So, let me get this right. all I need is the front drive shaft. Its not my transfer case or transmission. Inorder for the D2 to move at all you need power to the front, the rear drive wont power if thats broken.

The D2 has an open transfer case. If either drive shaft is removed, the vehicle will not move as the transfer case will send all power to the missing shaft.

This is why the CDL (center differential lock) option is so nice: this locks the front and rear drive shaft together, so even if both tires on the same axle have no traction, the vehicle will still move as 50% of the power is being sent to the other axle.

Savannah Buzz 08-24-2011 08:25 PM

And it is a good feature on the D1s also, because it allows us to drive the Disco in locked mode just on the rear wheels while we carry the shaft to be rebuilt or hunt for parts. Mine must have been through this once, there are all kinds of impact marks on the floorboard near the shaft at the transfer case end, like someone took a sledge hammer to the sheet metal and beat the living **** out of it.

But once you have re-done your universals with zerk equipped ones, does this happen again if you keep up with the grease schedule?

GandAautoLLC 08-24-2011 08:36 PM

So removing the transfer case and transmission wasnt the right thing to do. I should have just replaced the front drive shaft. Shouldnt the yoke on the transfer case move a little or at all, even if the drive shaft snapped off. How does the transfer case know if there is anything on the end. Im stumpped. Thank you for all your help