General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

transmission/transfer case?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission/transfer case?

I have an '01 Disco II and was driving home last night and my u joint snapped on the front driveshaft. I took the front drive shaft off thinking I would be able to drive it the remaining 1/4 mile home so I could replace it when the part comes in, but the rear drive shaft will not spin at all and the car will not move. I looked under the car and noticed the area where the front drive shaft used to connect would spin when I gave it gas, but the rear doesnt budge. Is there a reason for this? I'm hoping it is not a transfer case or transmission problem.

Thanks
dbarnes

Old 03-15-2010, 06:48 AM
Rock Crawling

First slide under it and make sure there isn't a hole in the side of your transmission. While you are there feel on the top of the transfer just to the drivers side of the transfer output shaft. you are looking for a very short, vertical shaft with a nut on it; this is how you lock the transfer case. do a search for CDL or drive shaft and you will get some great pics.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If you were lucky and didn't punch a hole in your tranny, then all you need to do is take a wrench and turn the shift nipple in the top of the t/case, see the round plate with 3 bolts and the nipple in the middle.
So drop you bad shaft, rotate the shift full clock wise and you will have power to the rear shaft. Your 3 amigos will come on, don't worry about it. Find a shop that can rebuild your damaged shaft if rebuildable, don't spend more then $250 for all new greasable u-joints and a center ball, other wise buy a new Tom Woods shaft for around $350.

Attached Thumbnails transmission/transfer case?-t-case.jpg  
Old 03-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your disco does not havea center diff lock lever, you can however lock the center diff with a wrench to get you by untill repairs can be made.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:44 PM
2nd Gear

thanks, got it running now. Turns out the part I need is the housing that the driveshaft first connects to holding the first u-joint. It has the part number of "0 C04", anybody know that this might be called so I can order one and get this fixed? thanks

Old 03-17-2010, 06:41 AM
Rock Crawling

Are you referring to the double cardon/CV joint? It has two u-joints with the drive shaft connected to one u-joint and the transfer case connected to the other u-joint.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dbarnes
thanks, got it running now. Turns out the part I need is the housing that the driveshaft first connects to holding the first u-joint. It has the part number of "0 C04", anybody know that this might be called so I can order one and get this fixed? thanks
Sounds like you're talking about the front output housing.

Attached Thumbnails transmission/transfer case?-trasnfer_box-front_output.jpg  
Old 03-20-2010, 01:23 PM
2nd Gear
Default transmission/transfer case

i figure its about time i check and/or replace the fluids in my front and rear differentials as well as the transfer case.but....i have no idea what im looking for or where to begin.anybody had experience on this?what fluids do i need?where can i get em?and how much of a task am i lookin at here?