Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Lose the cats and no fault codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Dane,

I didn't find the right thread size because I had a burning need for an inspection and my cobbled together straight pipe setup was leaking (my welds just weren't the best). I gave up and just got a new Y pipe with cats off ebay. I think the brand was Davico.

In case anyone finds this post by searching for Davico, the setup works. It comes with much smaller cats than the original and the passenger cat is a hair away from the driveshaft, even with some muscling, but it works.

Charlie V

Old 09-22-2014, 10:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 940 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
so did this work?
I tried it on mine some months ago. Tried and tried and I never could get it to work. I found some neat little things on Amazon that had a piece of the catalytic converter honeycomb in the tip that is similar other than that one difference, it might be worth a try if it is 18mm like the O2.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:16 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I tried it on mine some months ago. Tried and tried and I never could get it to work. I found some neat little things on Amazon that had a piece of the catalytic converter honeycomb in the tip that is similar other than that one difference, it might be worth a try if it is 18mm like the O2.
Bump....

O2 Simulator Mini Cat Cel Fix best oxygen sensor simulator made.

Eyeballing these if I ever go the header route....

Old 01-22-2015, 08:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by slammin_LWB
Bump....

That's really interesting. I haven't looked back at my old posts but a problem I had with hollowing the cats was that it made the truck sound like a glass bottle rolling down the driveway but that may have been because of the shape of the cat chamber and the thinness of the walls when compared to normal exhaust pipe. Maybe if you had an actual pipe instead on the cat chamber the noise would be less odd.

I've always understood that you need a certain amount of catalyst to burn/convert the remaining fuel and gasses, but maybe those little suckers will work.

I don't think the post cat sensors do anything other than keep you ses light off.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:51 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
That's really interesting. I haven't looked back at my old posts but a problem I had with hollowing the cats was that it made the truck sound like a glass bottle rolling down the driveway but that may have been because of the shape of the cat chamber and the thinness of the walls when compared to normal exhaust pipe. Maybe if you had an actual pipe instead on the cat chamber the noise would be less odd.

I've always understood that you need a certain amount of catalyst to burn/convert the remaining fuel and gasses, but maybe those little suckers will work.

I don't think the post cat sensors do anything other than keep you ses light off.
Yeah, post cat are just cat efficiency. Pre-cat are for engine management.

Those little mini cats take the defouler thing a step further. I'd assume they would work because the volume of gasses going to the sensor would be reduced...you're not trying to catalyze everything as you are with a conventional cat.

I'd try them on my 330i...Chinese headers deleted the cats but the o2 bungs were so close to the body of the car I just relocated the post cat sensors to the engine bay, so defoulers won't fit. Pre-cat still fit.

I'll probably not get headers for the D2 straight away, but when I do I'll try these thing out. If someone with headers already wants to give 'em a try, please report back.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:56 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slammin_LWB
Bump....

These are pretty sweet but dang $50 a piece is a bit steep for me. Anyone found anything equivalent for a little less?

Old 04-24-2015, 02:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw a recent reply to this on my email; the thread is a m18x1.5 for the o2 sensor bungs.

Also, the part number for the foulers you're talking about is 42002 at autozone for about 3$ a set of two.

I ended up just rerouing both down pipes into a single catalytic converter to keep the heat away from my driveshaft and for my 3 linked front end.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:59 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

I used to do this o2 spacer on my Subaru wrx and sti when I installed new turbo back exhaust system I used a spacer but I always thought it was the higher flow that killed the 02 sensors but regardless I never got any codes