Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://landroverforums.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   Replacing front muffler (https://landroverforums.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-12/replacing-front-muffler-62565/)

SteveGT 10-18-2013 07:43 AM

Replacing front muffler

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

My front muffler rusted and full off, so I ordered a new one. Are there any gotchas, or anything else I need to get to replace with the new one? Thanks.

Attachment 39558

coors 10-18-2013 07:47 AM

I forgot. How does the rear of the muffler attach to the tailpipe? A bolted flange or welded-in? That would be my only concern. Otherwise, nothing else to worry about.

SteveGT 10-18-2013 08:29 AM

there is another flange after this muffler that connects to the rear muffler/tailpipe

SteveGT 10-18-2013 01:28 PM

anyone know if there's a sealant or gasket I'll need to replace in the flanges? thanks

binvanna 10-18-2013 01:55 PM

Some systems had a donut in that flange, but I don't think yours does. Replace the rubber hangers because when they fail, that's what cracks the pipes. It looks like rust did all the work, but I bet there was broken hangers and a lot of the cracking was because of the vibration and stress from unsupported pipes.

If you can get those nuts off, you can re-use that flange. I ended up having to drill/tap the bolts out and replaced them with regular bolts.

The best way to cut the pipes is with an exhaust pipe cutter. It's way better that bending and busting sawzall blades.

SteveGT 10-18-2013 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by binvanna (Post 426580)
Some systems had a donut in that flange, but I don't think yours does. Replace the rubber hangers because when they fail, that's what cracks the pipes. It looks like rust did all the work, but I bet there was broken hangers and a lot of the cracking was because of the vibration and stress from unsupported pipes.

If you can get those nuts off, you can re-use that flange. I ended up having to drill/tap the bolts out and replaced them with regular bolts.

The best way to cut the pipes is with an exhaust pipe cutter. Amazon.com: KD Tools KDS-2031 Exhaust and Tailpipe Cutter: Home Improvement It's way better that bending and busting sawzall blades.

Thanks! I was hoping to re-use them, but I guess if I cant I can just go get some new ones. I'm hoping all the hangers are okay, because I just got the muffler and flanges.

TOM R 11-03-2013 06:07 PM

Spray lube the hangers they will come off easier, d1 has bolt flange in front of muffler uses flat gasket and part of the over axle pipe attached at rear of muffler, if the muffler looks like that save time and replace it all cause the rest won't be far behind, when the over axle pipe rotted on mine it rotted on the seam which faces up at the body and fills the cabin with exhaust, looked great from the bottom :)

Iirc d2 muffler has flat flange front and back, your sign says you have a d1?

Mishaniag 03-08-2019 02:34 PM

The spark plug anti-foulers on the downstream O2S trick will work on any vehicle, although you may have to bore the anti-fouler out with a 1/2" drill bit first more.