LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

2008 Land Rover LR2 won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 10:16 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Land Rover LR2 won’t start

I have a 2008 Land Rover LR2. It’s been struggling to start for the past few months and the other day I went to start it and it tried to start twice and the third time I pressed the start button it didn’t do anything. Tested the starter and it failed so we replaced the starter. Had the battery checked and it’s perfect. Replaced the start/stop push button on the dash. I have no brake lights so I thought maybe it could be the brake light switch. I ordered a new brake light switch off rock auto and the one that came has a longer pin then the old one. Having an issue getting the new one in. Does it sound like I got the wrong part? The old one goes on easily. If this doesn’t work what else should we be checking?

Old 09-22-2019, 12:51 PM
Winching
Received 285 Likes on 217 Posts

The starting problem might well be the brake light switch since you have to hold the brake pedal down to start it. You could confirm that by jumpering the pins on the connector for the switch and see if the brakes light up and it starts.

Sounds like you either got the wrong part of a poorly-designed aftermarket part. Might try to get the part from the dealer, or google some other vendors and see what it looks like.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:25 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did end up getting the correct part but either that is not the issue or there is an adjustment to the switch that needs to be made to make it work. I still have no brake lights and when I do try and start it I blow the 40 amp starter fuse.
Ive heard to check the starter wire but I’m not sure where it is or how to check it.
I did a continuity test in the switch and didn’t get a reading. Maybe this switch is bad too?

Old 09-23-2019, 12:41 PM
Winching
Received 285 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdvh
I did end up getting the correct part but either that is not the issue or there is an adjustment to the switch that needs to be made to make it work. I still have no brake lights and when I do try and start it I blow the 40 amp starter fuse.
Ive heard to check the starter wire but I’m not sure where it is or how to check it.
I did a continuity test in the switch and didn’t get a reading. Maybe this switch is bad too?
Without looking at the wiring diagram, a switch like that would normally be a simple normally-open switch. If the connector has two electrical pins you should be able to use a meter to verify that the switch is open when not pressed, and closed when pressed. Or possibly vice versa, but you should be able to observe a change in connectivity when it's pressed. If not, it might be a bad switch or need an adjustment.

Also you can try jumpering the pins on the vehicle wire harness which connects to the switch (may or may not need the ignition on for brake lights to work)... if you can make the brake lights work, then at least you know the problem is the switch.

But a big fuse blowing hints at another problem with the starter. Check every heavy wire you can get to under the hood and near the battery, check for loose, frayed, pinched wires or bare metal contact with frame/engine. Also remove the splash guard under the motor, you can see the starter wire from there. Since you just had the starter replaced, maybe they forget to tighten a wire? Or maybe you got a bad starter. The bare part of starter wire needs to not be touching any grounded metal parts, on the chassis, engine, starter, or splash guard. OBTW, the splash guard bolts are english, you'll strip them with a metric socket. Most of the power-train fittings are metric (volvo vice land rover).

The following users liked this post:
Sdvh (09-23-2019)