Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR2 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr2-35/)
-   -   2008 LR2 Best Oil? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr2-35/2008-lr2-best-oil-89401/)

Inkstaind 05-07-2018 02:16 PM

2008 LR2 Best Oil?

I know this is a typical question that probably been answered a thousand times, but for whatever reason I'm not seeing many posts regarding what we all think is the best, etc...

What do you guys run? Is anyone running 20/50?

In our BMW we run Motul. Anyone running Motul in their LR2?

Anyone using Lucas to top off?

Inkstaind 05-07-2018 06:39 PM

A tough question that most enthusiasts don't want to get into right!! I know, we'll all go round and round on what the best is. I just have always felt better, more confident, going with oils that I cannot get at Wal Mart, lol. To keep this simple, for a 2008 LR2, is there any reason not to use Amsoil, Motul, Liqui Moly, or Royal Purple? And, do any of you top off with Lucas? Mann oil filter the way to go?

Thanks guys for any advice you can lend.

p_gill 05-07-2018 09:17 PM

Mobil 1 0W40

Is what I use

Note: this isn’t the thinnest oil when it’s really cold

For where I live cold is 45F

And it’s fine at that temperature and above

Inkstaind 05-08-2018 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by p_gill (Post 646834)
Mobil 1 0W40

Is what I use

Note: this isn’t the thinnest oil when it’s really cold

For where I live cold is 45F

And it’s fine at that temperature and above

Thanks for the response. I've used Mobil 1 for a long time, topping off with some Lucas, with no noticeable issues. But when we got our BMW X5 the dealer mechanic said he would not run that, and to use Motul. So Motul is what we've been using, and he was pretty clear about it being a better oil. So I was just curious if anyone else was running it, or if there were reasons not to, or for the manufacturers like Amsoil, etc...

I guess it's more of a feel good thing for me. If someone says "Hey, this oil is the best, but not necessary" then I will still buy that better oil even if it's overkill.

p_gill 05-08-2018 04:25 PM

That's because you asked a BMW mechanic

BMW disqualified Mobil 1 0W40 from their LL-01 spec

The "New" Mobil 1 0W40 is not strictly a synthetic oil in Germany (because of the way they define synthetic) and BMW no longer list's it on their approval list, but other then the philosophical (its not PAO) I can't see a reason for the disqualification

For me I am very happy with it

Its approved for
Mercedes - MB 229.5
VW/Audi - VW 502, VW 505
Porsche - special motor oil list

And it has the following specs
HTHS - 3.8
NOACK - 9%
Viscosity at 100C - 13.5

I use Mobil 1 because its approved by Audi and Mercedes and the new formula is very inexpensive for such a premium oil.

Note: there is nothing wrong with using Motul motor oil, I don't because of cost.

Thanks

Paul

Inkstaind 05-08-2018 04:36 PM

Thanks Paul, great feedback, I see your point. Do you ever top of with Lucas, or do you feel that it is unnecessary?

p_gill 05-08-2018 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I change my oil every 7,500 miles or 6 months.

And I don't have to add any oil between changes.

Just Mobil 1, nothing else.

In my case the seals have had nothing but synthetic oil since new so i don't have any leaks, if your LR2 has seen some non synthetic then the seals may not be happy if you switch back. In that case I would use an additive to help with the seals.

Attached is a presentation from Mobil about the "New" 0W40

Inkstaind 05-14-2018 01:32 PM

It's so mind boggling when you really dive into it. I looked at 4 different engine oil tests from creditable sites that included Mobil 1, Castrol, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Lucas, Valvoline, etc.... and each had different results. As if they were being paid for the results, how else could you account for the discrepancies. But, they all pretty much had one thing in common, Amsoil being somewhere near the top, where the others were at the top on one site's test report, and at the bottom on another.

Inkstaind 05-16-2018 04:07 PM

I just had one of our vehicles smogged by a well known, good mechanic in town and I picked his brain for what he thought was the best oil, or atleast a great oil, and he said when he changes the oil in his personal car he uses............wait for it............WHATEVER IS ON SALE!!! LOL

p_gill 05-18-2018 05:32 PM

That is funny!!!!!

For me I try to select an oil that would meet the requirements that they use for service in Europe (the primary market for the LR2).

In Europe they tend to use oils that will last 10,000 mile or more between changes.

The engine designers created the engine with these oils in mind.

I don't know if you were aware that VW, Mercedes and others had oil sludge problems in the US.

The root cause of the problem was very low quality oil available at the quick oil change places.

In Europe you need to use the manufacturers recommended oil, in the US you just need to change the oil unless the manufacturer requires a specific type of oil.

Getting back to Mobil 1 0w40 - this oil is probably similar to what you can buy for $10/quart from other vendors but its only $5/quart

So I guess I agree with your mechanic; I buy it because it on special (half price in fact)

But I only buy oil that meets

Mercedes - MB 229.5
VW/Audi - VW 502, VW 505
Porsche - special motor oil list

Any motor oil approve by Mercedes, Volkswagen\Audi and Porsche should be fine in our application (assuming you choose an appropriate viscosity)

Final Conclusion: Buy Mobil 1 0W40 because its always on sale

Good Luck

Paul