LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

2012 LR2 won't start after refueling

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 06:41 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 LR2 won't start after refueling

Hello I have a 2012 LR2 HSE. I was driving on E (stupid, I know...) & got to the has station. After fueling up I started the LR2 but it stalled out & shut off. It kept cranking and everything but it wouldn't turn over. I got it to turn over once whilst waiting for the tow truck but it shut off again & I wasn't able to get it back on. It's currently in the driveway

Old 09-28-2023, 12:24 AM
Winching
Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

Did you fill the tank up? Let it sit over night and try again, the pump might have lost prime and vapor locked. Sitting for a while with a full tank might allow liquid fuel back to where it needs to be.

Otherwise you'll need to check codes. The pump might possibly have been damaged by overheating due to low fuel volume. But I'd guess that only happened if it was hot outside, or the pump was already on it's way out.

The following users liked this post:
guy (10-08-2023)
Old 09-28-2023, 08:34 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Possible junk at bottom of tank clogged fuel filter or something else. The fact you got it to try to run once after would make one think the pump is working but can't keep up to demand, then stalling due to lack of pressure.

Old 09-28-2023, 09:46 AM
Winching
Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

In fairness to the car, my wife drives on empty all the time. Then she drives the other car until I get home, because she's afraid it will run out on the way to the gas station at the bottom of the hill.

Old 09-28-2023, 01:10 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by merlinj79
Did you fill the tank up? Let it sit over night and try again, the pump might have lost prime and vapor locked. Sitting for a while with a full tank might allow liquid fuel back to where it needs to be.

Otherwise you'll need to check codes. The pump might possibly have been damaged by overheating due to low fuel volume. But I'd guess that only happened if it was hot outside, or the pump was already on it's way out.
I filled it halfway. This happened last week but still unable to turn over. I will be checking codes today. I'm fairly certain it has something to do with the fuel pump as earlier that day I replaced the fuse F22 since it wouldn't start earlier that day & it workes fine until it didn't. I replaced that same fuse a few months ago due to the same issue. Replacing the fuse is no longer remedying the issue however.

Old 09-28-2023, 01:12 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by OldKarz
Possible junk at bottom of tank clogged fuel filter or something else. The fact you got it to try to run once after would make one think the pump is working but can't keep up to demand, then stalling due to lack of pressure.
I'm fairly certain it has something to do with the fuel pump as earlier that day I replaced the fuse F22 (fuse for the fuel pump) since it wouldn't start earlier that day & it worked fine until it didn't. I replaced that same fuse a few months ago due to the same issue. Replacing the fuse is no longer remedying the issue however.

Old 09-28-2023, 04:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 553 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Lr22012lol
I'm fairly certain it has something to do with the fuel pump as earlier that day I replaced the fuse F22 (fuse for the fuel pump) since it wouldn't start earlier that day & it worked fine until it didn't. I replaced that same fuse a few months ago due to the same issue. Replacing the fuse is no longer remedying the issue however.
Was the fuse blown both times?

Old 09-28-2023, 04:45 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by flybd5
Was the fuse blown both times?
I believe the first time, it was. As soon as I replaced the fuse it started immediately without issue after a week being parked. The second time, I'm unsure as it only was able to drive a few miles before I had to get it towed. To be fair, it was on E when it did it earlier in the day as well.

Old 09-28-2023, 04:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 553 Likes on 462 Posts

Umm... the fuses can be inspected visually to see if they have blown.

Old 09-28-2023, 04:54 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by flybd5
Umm... the fuses can be inspected visually to see if they have blown.
At the time I just replaced the fuse as I was unsure on how to tell if it blown. I know...it was my first time. When I get home I'll check the fuse I replaced to see if it blew.

Quick Reply: 2012 LR2 won't start after refueling