LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

2013 LR2 won't turn on

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 07:29 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 LR2 won't turn on

Lights and radio, everything turns on, but the car. I hear a click when I push the start button somewhere to the right of me. Is this the starter? Could it be a fuse (I checked F15 in the engine fuse box diagram is for motor starter). The sound also feels like it's coming from the passenger side fuse box. I used a portable battery with the hope that the car battery just needed to be charged but still, no go. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Tommylr22013; 08-15-2023 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Updating accuracy
Old 08-15-2023, 09:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 553 Likes on 462 Posts

The click comes from a relay in the ECU behind the glove compartment. Check the battery with a tester. A local auto parts store will usually do it for free. Obviously, if it tests bad or even if it tests borderline, replace the battery. The LR2 is very sensitive to voltage.

If the battery is good fully charge the battery before using it again. A portable battery does not charge your car's battery. Remove the terminals from the battery before charging and set them up so they touch while you charge the battery, that will discharge all the control boxes and reset any potential errors.

If that still doesn't work put a code reader on it that understands LR modules and post the codes here. You can get the codes read at the auto parts store.

Old 08-16-2023, 12:15 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by flybd5
The click comes from a relay in the ECU behind the glove compartment. Check the battery with a tester. A local auto parts store will usually do it for free. Obviously, if it tests bad or even if it tests borderline, replace the battery. The LR2 is very sensitive to voltage.

If the battery is good fully charge the battery before using it again. A portable battery does not charge your car's battery. Remove the terminals from the battery before charging and set them up so they touch while you charge the battery, that will discharge all the control boxes and reset any potential errors.

If that still doesn't work put a code reader on it that understands LR modules and post the codes here. You can get the codes read at the auto parts store.
Thank you for the detailed info. I changed the battery approximately 2 years ago. Could it have gone that fast? Regardless, I will follow your advice first. In the event the battery is fine however, can I assume it's the starter?

Old 08-16-2023, 06:46 AM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommylr22013
Thank you for the detailed info. I changed the battery approximately 2 years ago. Could it have gone that fast? Regardless, I will follow your advice first. In the event the battery is fine however, can I assume it's the starter?
This LR2 can kill a discharging battery in two years, yes. It's a battery hog if the vehicle is just sitting without daily or longer drives. And to the second Q, yes. If you have the time and effort, try removing the front "bash plate and whacking the starter with a rubber mallet and then try starting it or get two people and try it in synchronicity.

Old 08-16-2023, 09:27 AM
Pro Wrench

Age of the battery is irrelevant except for warranty purposes. Get it tested. If the battery is fine remove the starter and get it tested too. It's easy to get to.

The following users liked this post:
guy (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 01:57 PM
Winching
Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

Yes, test the battery and replace if marginal.

After that the next most likely culprit would be the starter, I had the same symptoms.

You'd be better off using the manual and a scantool to troubleshoot, but if you want to load the parts cannon... battery first, then starter.

guy (08-16-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 07:34 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by flybd5
Age of the battery is irrelevant except for warranty purposes. Get it tested. If the battery is fine remove the starter and get it tested too. It's easy to get to.
Thank you for all of your help, it ended up being the starter. I brought it to a guy who had it replaced and fixed an oil leak somewhere around the transmission. I paid a total of $500 Canadian. Do you think that is reasonable?

Old 08-18-2023, 08:03 AM
Pro Wrench

Thank you for all of your help, it ended up being the starter. I brought it to a guy who had it replaced and fixed an oil leak somewhere around the transmission. I paid a total of $500 Canadian. Do you think that is reasonable?
You already paid. The time to ask if it's reasonable is before you pay. I have no idea what the going rate for labor is in Canadian shops.

Tommylr22013 (08-18-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 04:14 PM
3rd Gear

Flybd5,
I also am running into a weird issue with my 2015 LR2. Wife drove it to the bank, came out and no start. Car will make its relay "CLICKING" sound, but no good.
vehicle has 100,000 miles, so for ****s i went ahead and changed the starter/solenoid assembly. Still no good, checked SM 40a fuse checked good. checked SM relay, switch opens like normal. went ahead and pulled the 3 week old battery and charged. charger did say it was down to 65% at the time of charge. Charged battery, and installed again. Still no start, same relay clicking noise.
ANY Thoughts are welcome my way!

Old 12-01-2023, 07:42 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Wellshoot!
Flybd5,
I also am running into a weird issue with my 2015 LR2. Wife drove it to the bank, came out and no start. Car will make its relay "CLICKING" sound, but no good.
vehicle has 100,000 miles, so for ****s i went ahead and changed the starter/solenoid assembly. Still no good, checked SM 40a fuse checked good. checked SM relay, switch opens like normal. went ahead and pulled the 3 week old battery and charged. charger did say it was down to 65% at the time of charge. Charged battery, and installed again. Still no start, same relay clicking noise.
ANY Thoughts are welcome my way!
Hook up a reader to the truck which understands LR modules and post a reply here with the codes it returns.

Quick Reply: 2013 LR2 won't turn on