LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Best battery replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 12:14 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Best battery replacement?

i am needing to replace the battery in my LR2 2009. But due to the near constant battery drain on these vehicles, is there a better option for a replacement battery? Would a deep cycle battery help? Any info would be helpful.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:36 AM
Mudding

Anybody have a good suggestion for a battery replacement? Anyone know how Bosch stack up to diehard batteries?

Old 11-15-2016, 01:25 PM
Winching
Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

There are three main battery manufacturers in the U.S. (I'm assuming you are in the U.S.). They are Johnson Controls, East Penn, and Exide, which are sold under various brand names. I have used batteries made by Johnson Controls (Interstate brand) and East Penn (AAA brand) and so far I've found the East Penn battery to be better.

I measured the charges on both batteries when new and the AAA battery measured higher than the rated CCA while the Interstate battery measured slightly lower. That's very anecdotal since you would need a larger sample size to make any meaningful conclusions, but that's my experience for what it's worth. East Penn batteries are sold under the AAA and Napa brand names.

If you do some online research in the car forums, I think you'll find that people rank the batteries as 1) East Penn, 2) Johnson Controls, and 3) Exide.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:28 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by LR2driver
There are three main battery manufacturers in the U.S. (I'm assuming you are in the U.S.). They are Johnson Controls, East Penn, and Exide, which are sold under various brand names. I have used batteries made by Johnson Controls (Interstate brand) and East Penn (AAA brand) and so far I've found the East Penn battery to be better.

I measured the charges on both batteries when new and the AAA battery measured higher than the rated CCA while the Interstate battery measured slightly lower. That's very anecdotal since you would need a larger sample size to make any meaningful conclusions, but that's my experience for what it's worth. East Penn batteries are sold under the AAA and Napa brand names.

If you do some online research in the car forums, I think you'll find that people rank the batteries as 1) East Penn, 2) Johnson Controls, and 3) Exide.

Thanks, that is very helpful information. Do you know where Diehard or Bosch land inside of those 3?

Old 11-16-2016, 12:35 PM
Winching
Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

I believe Johnson Controls makes both Diehard and Bosch batteries. If you are settled on buying one of these two brands, since they are essentially the same product with different labels, pick the one with the better warranty since that will vary by brand and seller.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:09 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by LR2driver
I believe Johnson Controls makes both Diehard and Bosch batteries. If you are settled on buying one of these two brands, since they are essentially the same product with different labels, pick the one with the better warranty since that will vary by brand and seller.

Great info! Thanks!

Old 09-18-2017, 12:10 PM
Mudding

When replacing the battery, do I need to so anything special? I don't want to trip any anti-theft device or anything. Is it as simple as disconnecting the old battery, and putting in the new battery?

Any info would be helpful before I get started.

Thanks!

Old 09-25-2017, 09:54 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as you haven't let the battery get very low where you start having issues with various modules, you can safely disconnect and reconnect a new battery without anything special required.