LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Constantly going into limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 05:26 PM
Winching
Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

The coil packs are known to be sensitive to over-heating. Once the engine is significantly over-heated, the coil packs might be damaged such that they are prone to intermittent failures which might be hard to troubleshoot. The engine might or might not need to be fully warmed up to see it happen.

If 1 & 3 never or rarely show misfires try swapping those coilpacks and see what happens.

The following users liked this post:
ThorInc (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 07:26 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you using a code reader that will read LR specific codes or just an OBD emissions reader?

guy (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 12:37 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using the readers from the mechanics at work. I've got to program the make, model, year and all that good stuff so I'm assuming it is reading Land Rover codes?

As for the overheating that makes sense that the coils might be starting to wear. I try not to drive it too far, but it's been needing a new water pump for over a year now so it may have just finally caught up.

Old 08-02-2023, 01:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Diagnose with ALL available OEM codes!

A full set of OEM codes makes diagnosis easier. You need to give us all the codes, including not related codes, since these often throw codes that are causing the problem but appear not to have any relation to what is happening. Don't just chase individual codes as that can cost a lot of unnecessary expense.

Old 08-03-2023, 04:43 PM
Winching
Received 167 Likes on 125 Posts

Suggest you check your battery and alternator. When you get an assortment of codes and operating problems, it's good practice to eliminate the battery and alternator as the root cause of problems before proceeding to diagnose other components. Insufficient or erratic power can create puzzling symptoms in modern vehicles which rely heavily on sensors and computer control.

guy (08-23-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 07:05 PM
Winching
Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnRonald1
I'm using the readers from the mechanics at work. I've got to program the make, model, year and all that good stuff so I'm assuming it is reading Land Rover codes?

As for the overheating that makes sense that the coils might be starting to wear. I try not to drive it too far, but it's been needing a new water pump for over a year now so it may have just finally caught up.
How do you know it needs a water pump?

Those normally either leak, or do not leak. They either pump water, or they seize and do not pump water. On modern cars with common belts (including LR2) a seized water pump will take out all the other accessories, alternator, AC, PS.

Old 08-04-2023, 04:52 AM
Three Wheeling

Are you seeing codes starting with B1, C1, P1 and U1? Those are OEM specific (there are also others).

Old 08-05-2023, 07:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 553 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnRonald1

That is an incorrect assumption. List the codes. We can't help if you keep them to yourself.

Old 08-23-2023, 03:56 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me too

Mines doing this everyday for over a month. Ever get an answer?

Old 08-23-2023, 10:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 553 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey batts
Mines doing this everyday for over a month. Ever get an answer?
I'm not a magician or psychic. Take it to a shop or an auto parts store and have them read the codes from the computer, then post them here.

Quick Reply: Constantly going into limp mode