Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR2 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr2-35/)
-   -   Interested in LR2 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr2-35/interested-lr2-67007/)

kdavis61 05-12-2014 08:05 PM

Interested in LR2

hey,
i am looking into a 2010 LR2 with 54,000 miles and there seems to be no damage. We are a huge land rover family. My dad has a 94' defender 90 and my mom used to have a 2011 LR4. I know that there is not a ton of off-road capability, but I am looking for something more fuel efficient.

Kaelan
2013 BMW X5
2007 BMW X5
1994 LR Defender
2011 Toyota 4Runner
2010 Mercedes G63

eedisco 06-16-2014 08:46 PM

Well there no Defender 90 but there good for what they are. My wife just went from an 04 Discovery (that is now my daily driver) to a 11 LR2. She really likes it and it does have more conveniences than the Disco has. I work in service for a LR dealer and we have the least problems out of LR2s than any other model. The early ones are a 6cyl Volvo engine and the new ones are a 4cyl turbo.

FieldsSL 10-24-2014 06:57 PM

2010 lr2

I just purchased my first LR2. It is a 2010 with 54000. I have had it for a week and love it. It ride is very smooth and the looks great.
Mine only came with 1 key fob - so I have to get that sorted. And the horn concerns me.
Seems these are small things to resolve.

LR2driver 10-24-2014 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by FieldsSL (Post 487672)
I just purchased my first LR2. It is a 2010 with 54000. I have had it for a week and love it. It ride is very smooth and the looks great.
Mine only came with 1 key fob - so I have to get that sorted. And the horn concerns me.

Sharon, I'll be curious to hear what it costs you to acquire a 2nd key fob.

NENYMA 10-25-2014 10:43 AM

I hope it's not as expensive as a Volvo: $350!

FieldsSL 10-25-2014 03:03 PM

Key Fob

Well, I was going to buy a fob from a dealer online and the have an automotive locksmith do the programming and cutting of the blank. And that is not happening. Called 4 automotive locksmiths here in MN -- and none can do it. Called the dealer and they will only cut keys that they sold and with proof that I own the car. That last point is not an issue -- but it is the first time I have ever come across that. So off the dealer I go. $302 later the fob and key blank are on order and will be here in MN in 7 to 15 days. Then I have to set an appointment and for another $160, they will cut the key and program the fob. Sigh -- the cost of having a great car.

FieldsSL 11-07-2014 12:12 PM

So the total is in. Key fob and key blank = $301. Programming at dealer = $148 for a total of $449.
Now to get a new cover for the warn out key.... :D

LR2driver 11-07-2014 02:52 PM

Thanks for your follow-up. I will be guarding my key fobs like they are expensive jewels.

iambhooper 01-04-2015 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by FieldsSL (Post 487672)

Still liking it? My wife is tired of a stick, what she likes isnt in the budget at this time, and a local dealer has an 08 for sale. What do I need to look for on these? Owning a p38, I have a high tolerance for pain.... she does not.

FieldsSL 01-05-2015 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by iambhooper (Post 498128)
Still liking it? My wife is tired of a stick, what she likes isnt in the budget at this time, and a local dealer has an 08 for sale. What do I need to look for on these? Owning a p38, I have a high tolerance for pain.... she does not.

I love my 2010 and in just a few months I have racked up some miles. It is at the dealer today. We came back from vacation and it would not start. I was having issues with an Open Tail Gate message the day before we left -- so that might play into it - or the -11 it is in Minnesota!

Very glad I purchased a Service Agreement -- since parts and work on these vehicles is not cheap.

iambhooper 01-05-2015 07:43 PM

Well the dealer let me take it to my wife. While driving it, I thought I detected a hint of cat urine, didnt say anything to my wife and let her decide. After a few minutes, she said her eyes were itching. If it hadn't been for that, she would have had me buy the car. My teched looked it over, the rig was clean and nice.... except for the smell. Looking around, I found the source of smell... it looks like the PO spilled detergent or something in the right rear seat. The leather was stained in a few places, which means the foam is probably soaked as well. I took it by the leather guy, who says it needs to be replaced. I returned it, told the salesman about it, and that I would buy it if it weren't for the smell. I doubt they will fix it for me, as the he said they had 3 people wanting to look at it while I was out.

Jag100 08-05-2015 06:29 PM

Hey, I'm relatively, no, very new to the forum. Looking at an '04 Disco HSE for my daughter. Do you mind me asking how yours has been?

Thanks

iambhooper 08-06-2015 11:20 AM

Like all Rover's, if properly maintained, they are good vehicles. Start with a clean example, have a competent mechanic go through it and budget X amount of maintenance per year for it. We did not get the LR2, so I can't advise you on them, just Rovers in general.

Overlandorange 09-20-2015 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jag100 (Post 529787)
Hey, I'm relatively, no, very new to the forum. Looking at an '04 Disco HSE for my daughter. Do you mind me asking how yours has been?

Thanks

After doing plenty of research and talking to current LR owners, if your looking at a LR2 either HSE or Landmark, ideally cleanest lowest mileage possible.

Running costs will vary dependant on usage & of course any previous outstanding history that's not been resolved.

A biker mate used to work for LR (he replaced his Disco for a 98 110 for overall running cost) and informed me I should go for a Disco 2 TD5 03/04.