LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Land Rover LR2 key fob issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 05:13 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Land Rover LR2 key fob issue

Hello I am currently having issues with my Rover, it simply won’t accept my key fob. I took it to a dealer and they essentially told me it’d be really expensive to fix. I asked a locksmith if he could program it, if that was the issue, and he said this vehicle had to be taken to a dealer. So I’m stuck. I am using the same key fob that used to work perfectly on it, although after not using it for a month or so, it simply would not accept my key fob. Now it’s been two years without being able to use my Land Rover. I should mention, though, that the buttons on the fob DO work, but it simply spits my key fob out when I put it in. I was wondering if simply replacing the ignition system or the starter system would solve my issue but I must admit I don’t know too much about how it works. So please, point me in the right direction and I’ll investigate. Thank you, have a great day.

Old 02-06-2021, 08:22 AM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 121 Posts

What year is the LR2? Could you post a pic of the fob? What did the dealership say that was wrong with it? Dealership said it would be expensive to replace/fix what?

Old 02-06-2021, 08:28 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by ThorInc
What year is the LR2? Could you post a pic of the fob? What did the dealership say that was wrong with it? Dealership said it would be expensive to replace/fix what?
It’s a 2008 LR2
and sure:

and well I genuinely can’t recall.. it’s been a year or so.. I’d have to get in touch with the person who worked on it.. if they even remember

Old 02-06-2021, 11:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 553 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse Almaraz
Hello I am currently having issues with my Rover, it simply won’t accept my key fob. I took it to a dealer and they essentially told me it’d be really expensive to fix.
That makes no sense. If the FOB lost its pairing with the car the dealer ought to be able to fix that. I think dealers charge $180 for that these days. They were not more specific about the problem? I would find that hard to believe. If the FOB is the reason for the failure you can always buy a new FOB and have it paired to the car.

FOBs can only be programmed by dealers unless you want to buy the very expensive computer and software that lets you do that (among many other things).

The following users liked this post:
guy (02-14-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 09:44 PM
Pro Wrench

BTW, one thing to try is to disconnect the battery, check its voltage, and charge it to full capacity. If the battery won't charge that might explain the problem. That will also reset the computer, and may help resolve this.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:51 AM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 121 Posts

So the vehicle has not been driven for over a year? That's bad for LR2/FL2s...............next time leave a smart charger connected. Sounds like battery issues, corrupt modules. Do what is suggested in post #5. The remote battery may also be on it's way out. That's a nice little soldering job once you source the battery, check youtube for the re & re video.

Old 02-07-2021, 06:10 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by flybd5
That makes no sense. If the FOB lost its pairing with the car the dealer ought to be able to fix that. I think dealers charge $180 for that these days.
Right.. I really don’t think that’s the case or they would have told me that I suppose.. and like I said, I don’t really recall what they diagnosed, I was a bit out of the loop, admittedly. Do you recommend getting in touch with the ones who worked on it? I’d definitely have to put some work into doing that..

Old 02-07-2021, 06:12 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by flybd5
BTW, one thing to try is to disconnect the battery, check its voltage, and charge it to full capacity. If the battery won't charge that might explain the problem. That will also reset the computer, and may help resolve this.
Okay I’ll go ahead and test my battery as soon as I can and see if that’s the culprit, and now I remember, I didn’t use the car because I had lost the key fob for about a month, so in terms of what I did to mess it up, I just didn’t use it.

Old 02-07-2021, 06:13 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by ThorInc
So the vehicle has not been driven for over a year? That's bad for LR2/FL2s...............next time leave a smart charger connected. Sounds like battery issues, corrupt modules. Do what is suggested in post #5. The remote battery may also be on it's way out. That's a nice little soldering job once you source the battery, check youtube for the re & re video.
Right.. I figured that was the case haha. I will look into smart chargers. Okay I’ll go ahead and order a new remote battery and keep you posted on the results, thank you.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:19 PM
Pro Wrench

Any dealer can look into this for you if it is not just a need for a battery charge.

Quick Reply: Land Rover LR2 key fob issue