LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Low Coolant Warning, but No Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 11:15 PM
Winching
Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Low Coolant Warning, but No Leak

"Low Coolant Level" warning but no loss of coolant. This had been going on for a while, intermittent.

Not a bad idea to reach down and disconnect and re-connect the coolant sensor wire connector at the bottom of the reservior a few times, might just be corroded.

Might also be the electrical sensor itself, which can be easily replaced without draining the coolant reservoir.

But probably not, apparently the usual cause is the sensor float which is inside the reservoir and cannot be replaced separately. Good news is the reservoir is pretty cheap, like under $40, and not too hard to replace.

*** Engine needs to be cold!

I didn't have any spare coolant, so I used a big syringe to suck out as much as I could so I didn't waste too much. Just topped it up with a little distilled water, a little of that won't dilute the coolant too much.

Move the power steering and windshield washer reservoirs over to the drivers side as far as they go.

Unbolt the coolant reservoir (one bolt). Pull it up a lttle bit (gently) for access.

Carefully squeeze the two upper coolant tube fittings and disconnect them, move them aside gently.

Squeeze and disconnect the sensor wire on the bottom. Pull the reservoir up some more, you can move the bottom hose to allow more access. Squeeze and slide the clamp down the hose, remove the hose. You'll lose some coolant here.

Install is the reverse. Lube the small tube fittings with coolant so they slide in easy. Rinse off the area when you're done, coolant won't evaporate and will mess up electrical stuff.

I initially filled the res up to below the min, and started the car to verify the low warning worked. Then filled to max, did a test drive to get it hot and checked for leaks.

*** Somebody on amazon is selling the wrong reservoir for the LR2! It looks exactly like the right one but the coolant outlet on the bottom is pointed the wrong way! Ask me how I know....

Bogus res:

Amazon Amazon

The correct res has an outlet which points towards the rear (the end with the fill cap). The bogus one has a port which points forward (away from the cap). I think it's for a volvo or an Evoque or something.

Correct res:

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by merlinj79; 04-16-2020 at 11:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by merlinj79:
flybd5 (04-17-2020), ThorInc (04-17-2020)
Old 02-24-2022, 03:46 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Coolant light

Replaced the reservoir but Low Coolant level warning light still on

Originally Posted by merlinj79
"Low Coolant Level" warning but no loss of coolant. This had been going on for a while, intermittent.

Not a bad idea to reach down and disconnect and re-connect the coolant sensor wire connector at the bottom of the reservior a few times, might just be corroded.

Might also be the electrical sensor itself, which can be easily replaced without draining the coolant reservoir.

But probably not, apparently the usual cause is the sensor float which is inside the reservoir and cannot be replaced separately. Good news is the reservoir is pretty cheap, like under $40, and not too hard to replace.

I didn't have any spare coolant, so I used a big syringe to suck out as much as I could so I didn't waste too much. Just topped it up with a little distilled water, a little of that won't dilute the coolant too much.

Move the power steering and windshield washer reservoirs over to the drivers side as far as they go.

Unbolt the coolant reservoir (one bolt). Pull it up a lttle bit (gently) for access.

Carefully squeeze the two upper coolant tube fittings and disconnect them, move them aside gently.

Squeeze and disconnect the sensor wire on the bottom. Pull the reservoir up some more, you can move the bottom hose to allow more access. Squeeze and slide the clamp down the hose, remove the hose. You'll lose some coolant here.

Install is the reverse. Lube the small tube fittings with coolant so they slide in easy. Rinse off the area when you're done, coolant won't evaporate and will mess up electrical stuff.

I initially filled the res up to below the min, and started the car to verify the low warning worked. Then filled to max, did a test drive to get it hot and checked for leaks.

*** Somebody on amazon is selling the wrong reservoir for the LR2! It looks exactly like the right one but the coolant outlet on the bottom is pointed the wrong way! Ask me how I know....

Bogus res:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The correct res has an outlet which points towards the rear (the end with the fill cap). The bogus one has a port which points forward (away from the cap). I think it's for a volvo or an Evoque or something.

Correct res:

Old 02-25-2022, 09:22 AM
Winching

Was the actual coolant level OK to begin with?

Check the connector and wires to the sensor on bottom of the res. Can you visually verify that the internal float is actually floating?

Did the new res come with a sensor? That could have been defective.Try swapping the sensor from the old res. The sensors aren't likely to go bad, but could be defective out of the box. The internal foam float is what usually fails... it basically gets waterlogged and stops floating (after many years).

Last edited by merlinj79; 02-25-2022 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-26-2023, 09:56 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correction

Originally Posted by merlinj79

Bogus res:

Correct res:

Sorry, but this info is not correct. On the 08 LR2, the ports DO in fact point forward and in the OPPOSITE direction of the end of the reservoir where the cap is positioned. Needed to fix this for anyone who might stumble upon this thread in the future. There is a lot of conflicting info about some of the parts on this rig.

Old 12-27-2023, 09:57 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Ddogmatic
Sorry, but this info is not correct. On the 08 LR2, the ports DO in fact point forward and in the OPPOSITE direction of the end of the reservoir where the cap is positioned. Needed to fix this for anyone who might stumble upon this thread in the future. There is a lot of conflicting info about some of the parts on this rig.
The info I posted was for a North American 2008 w/ 3.2 i6. Might be different for diesel or LH drive cars.

I'll look at my car when I get home and post a correction if needed.

Either way, make sure you get one which looks exactly the one installed in your car.

Last edited by merlinj79; 12-27-2023 at 10:01 AM.