LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

lr2 rear differential replaced and problematic

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 02:25 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lr2 rear differential replaced and problematic

hello all,

i bit the bullet and purchased a reconditioned rear diff for my 2009 lr2 with under 70k miles. funny thing about the reconditioned unit is what looks like a weap hole inside the pictured indentation, that's dripping my BS $200 fluid all over the place. anyone have any experience with this hole? did my mechanics miss a plug from the inside of the original unit or something to that effect?

thank you in advance for any input

Justin

Attached Thumbnails lr2 rear differential replaced and problematic-image1.jpeg   lr2 rear differential replaced and problematic-image2.jpeg  
Old 08-15-2018, 08:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 307 Likes on 243 Posts

The pinion seal should keep the Haldex fluid separate from the gear oil

does the leaking fluid smell like Cat **** (haldex) or sulfur (gear oil)

the pinion seal can be seen in this thread

Freel2.com - View topic - My Rear Diff DIY Repair

good luck

Paul

Old 08-17-2018, 11:49 AM
6th Gear

thank you, paul.
the thing about the haldex fluid vs diff fluid is that the diff wasn't leaking at all prior to the swap. nor was the haldex. not even a drip. having spoke with the mechanic they did reuse the main o-ring as it wasn't supplied with the new diff. so we've ordered that and they are going to reinstall. however they don't think that it's going to fix the leak based on where the fluid is coming from. but i've never dealt with these guys before so i can't speak to their diligence.
all fingers crossed that it may turn out to be either the o-ring was actually bad, or that they simply overfilled the unit?
nice work on your rebuild, btw. makes me wish i had the time and space to do the same.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Justin,

I would like to take credit for the differential rebuild but the link that I shared was written by MrRover75 my screen name on the other site is P_Gill (same as this site)

The Pinion seal separates the Haldex fluid from the differential fluid and if it is installed correctly it will be centered on the weep hole that you identified.

The seal could be: missing, installed wrong, or broken.

To see the seal you need to separate the Haldex from the differential.

Below is a nice picture of the seal (Thanks to MrRover75)

Note: I haven't rebuilt my differential yet, instead I upgraded the gear oil and installed a magnet to catch the particles and its still going strong at 114,000 miles

Let me know if you have any other questions

Good luck

Paul

Attached Thumbnails lr2 rear differential replaced and problematic-pinion-seal.jpg  
Old 08-17-2018, 12:21 PM
6th Gear

oh i see what you're saying now. i'll shoot my guys a note to check that seal as well. now that i'm looking at this image i'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, the o-ring could be the culprit. i certainly hope so.

what oil did you use for your upgrade? i've already got a change on my calendar for 20k from now.

thanks again

Justin

Old 08-17-2018, 03:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Justin,

I am using

Mobil 1 DELVAC SYN GEAR 75W90, GEAR OIL

I ordered it from here

https://www.zoro.com/mobil-delvac-sy...35/i/G3460204/

Let me know if you want a link for a magnetic drain plug (the one that I bought is no longer available from the vendor that I went to but I can find another source if you are interested_

More information

Copied from the other board (updated my current mileage)

For reference (approximate mileage)

40,000 miles I first hear the noise of the bearing the dealer indicates that they can't duplicate the problem

50,000 miles warranty ends, I change the fluid in the differential (the old fluid is full of small air bubbles, it should have been changed sooner)

55,000 miles I place a strong magnet on the fill bolt of the differential (some magnetic particles are attracted to the bolt)

80,000 miles switch to a drain plug with the magnet built in (clean periodically to remove magnetic particles)

90,000 miles the drain plug magnet is nearly free of magnetic particles

114,000 miles the drain plug magnet is nearly free of magnetic particles

Based on the above information I have two recommendations

- Change the fluid in the differential every 40,000 miles or sooner

- Get a strong magnet or a magnetic drain plug

Here is the link from the other site

Note: this link talks about the front transfer box as well as the rear differential

Freel2.com - View topic - Transfer box drain

Good luck

Paul

PS if you really want to know why I picked the gear oil that I did then take a look here Freel2.com - View topic - Upgrading the Gear Oil for the Rear Differential

Old 08-24-2018, 12:24 AM
6th Gear

back yesterday from the revisit for the dripping dif. Changed the oring just because, but the mechanics say they found a plugged breather which must have been pushing the fluid up toward the weep where it was dripping. They reinstalled and seems to be fixed. Seems odd to me but if it’s not dripping, I’ll take it.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:50 PM
Rock Crawling

That is great news................

Good Luck

Paul