LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 turbo replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 08:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Bretsky - Confirmed - Borg Warner is the OEM for the 2.0L Ecoboost unit - suspect I am at the stage of needing another one (grrrr) - car (2014 LR2) is fumey again under certain circumstance (ie stopped in traffic therefore low air flow thru engine compartment). My daughter has the car in Arizona at the moment. The first unit lasted 40k miles and now we are at 85k miles - we operate in the cold of winter colorado so think this inevitably takes a toll. I purchased the unit from an Amazon vendor for about $1100. I had a quick look on line and saw the current price was $1600. To be clear, its not the turbo that fails, its the associated casing that cracks (in my case).You need to ensure the mechanic has the fasteners and gaskets that he will need. The shop I got to do the job were v. good about making sure they had the associated bits and pieces - said the job was a bit difficult but ultimately not too bad. Will put it back to these guys again. Was thinking of using a non-OEM turbo unit (cheaper) but most of the money is labour so probably just get the OEM unit to be sure. Would also like to investigate in-situ repair - as I understand the issue its just the casing that has cracked/lost integrity..... however the material is probably too thin and access too difficult to do an effective repair. I am overseas at the moment (Malaysia) and I'm driving a 2011 Evoque - same engine - I factored in provision of a new turbo when I bought it here. Change the oil regular and its a fairly good unit, but realistically 150k mile life is probably the end..... Best of luck .