LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

No fuel mystery

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2022, 12:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 553 Likes on 462 Posts

I haven't got the slightest clue if it is supposed to be that way.

Old 10-16-2022, 02:50 PM
Winching
Received 167 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by flybd5
... because the fuel system has no return line...
That mysterious noise that sounds like an electric motor running for several minutes when the vehicle is shut off, has been the talk of LR2 folklore since I bought mine in 2008. I thought it was the residual fuel left in the rail and line being pumped back into the tank as a safety feature. Have I been wrong all along?

Last edited by LR2driver; 10-16-2022 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-16-2022, 04:20 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by LR2driver
That mysterious noise that sounds like an electric motor running for several minutes when the vehicle is shut off, has been the talk of LR2 folklore since I bought mine in 2008. I thought it was the residual fuel left in the rail and line being pumped back into the tank as a safety feature. Have I been wrong all along?
Yes, it's in the service manual. Unlike regular FI systems that push an excess of fuel to the injectors and return what is not used to the tanks, the LR2 does not have a fuel return line. The computer controls the fuel pump through the controller and tries to provide exactly what the engine needs. The EVAP purge system compensates for the slight imbalances.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:16 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I believe (I hope) that it’s been narrowed down to the pump as the culprit. Does anyone have a slick trick for draining the fuel tank without having to buy any expensive siphoning apparatus?

Old 10-21-2022, 07:40 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Ddogmatic
Well I believe (I hope) that it’s been narrowed down to the pump as the culprit. Does anyone have a slick trick for draining the fuel tank without having to buy any expensive siphoning apparatus?
Yeah. It's called "a hose."

Old 10-22-2022, 01:54 PM
Drifting

Yeah. It's called "a hose."
actually I was hoping for something helpful. 😆 I am not able to get a hose down past whatever anti tamper measure has been built into the filler neck . I have tried several hoses down to a 3/8” OD surgical tubing and no go.

Old 10-22-2022, 02:32 PM
Pro Wrench

actually I was hoping for something helpful. 😆 I am not able to get a hose down past whatever anti tamper measure has been built into the filler neck . I have tried several hoses down to a 3/8” OD surgical tubing and no go.
The service manual says to connect the fuel tank draining equipment and drain the tank according to the instructions for the equipment. Unless you drop the tank first and then it's a piece of cake after taking out the fuel pump.

Old 10-22-2022, 05:16 PM
Drifting

The service manual says to connect the fuel tank draining equipment and drain the tank according to the instructions for the equipment. Unless you drop the tank first and then it's a piece of cake after taking out the fuel pump.
yes thank you. I have that 2444 page manual too. although ive yet to find any info regarding what tank draining equipment is being referred to. I also am very sure that attempting to drop the tank with the approximately 120 pounds of fuel in it will be tough without damaging something else on the car or on my body. but it looks like im giving that a shot. Thanks again for giving this some of your attention. I appreciate your input. one more question. Have you ever heard of anyone modding the under-the-seat-area of the back seat to allow pump swap-without tank-drop? may be a dumb a@$ question. oh well.

Old 10-22-2022, 05:29 PM
Pro Wrench

yes thank you. I have that 2444 page manual too. although ive yet to find any info regarding what tank draining equipment is being referred to. I also am very sure that attempting to drop the tank with the approximately 120 pounds of fuel in it will be tough without damaging something else on the car or on my body. but it looks like im giving that a shot. Thanks again for giving this some of your attention. I appreciate your input. one more question. Have you ever heard of anyone modding the under-the-seat-area of the back seat to allow pump swap-without tank-drop? may be a dumb a@$ question. oh well.
If you Google for "fuel tank draining machine" you may find what you're looking for. I have no clue how to get around the nightmare of changing a fuel pump, and would likely set a bonfire to the car if mine failed. Only braindead Land Rover engineers make it necessary to disassemble half the underside of the car to change a fuel pump. It's about as idiotic as thinking that world class moron Boris Johnson should become PM again.

Old 10-25-2022, 03:14 PM
Drifting

I’m nearing the end of this change out and there is something that I unfortunately missed when pulling the old one. Have not been able to find a photo or info I need. At the hose connection where the fuel level sending unit meets with the in line filter, there is an open port that looks as though it would slide into or over something else. I tried to take a photos best I could without uninstalling the pump again. Does anyone have a photo of the arrangement fully assembled, as it would look in the vehicle/in Use?

Last edited by Ddogmatic; 10-25-2022 at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply: No fuel mystery