Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR2 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr2-35/)
-   -   Oil leak (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr2-35/oil-leak-109601/)

Swiftreptar 12-12-2021 07:57 PM

Oil leak

Hello everyone I have a 2012 LR2 and I noticed that the low oil pressure light was on. So I checked the levels and it was extremely low. Does anyone know of general oil leaks that LR2s have? I added about 3 qts and the levels were back to being good. I've only had to replace both the differentials in the car. It has about 104,000 miles on it, oil changed regularly. I've not noticed any oil leak spots but did check the oil filler cap and it smelled a little burnt and looked blackish on the underside when I was checking the level today and filling it up.

flybd5 12-12-2021 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Swiftreptar (Post 803914)
Hello everyone I have a 2012 LR2 and I noticed that the low oil pressure light was on. So I checked the levels and it was extremely low. Does anyone know of general oil leaks that LR2s have? I added about 3 qts and the levels were back to being good. I've only had to replace both the differentials in the car. It has about 104,000 miles on it, oil changed regularly. I've not noticed any oil leak spots but did check the oil filler cap and it smelled a little burnt and looked blackish on the underside when I was checking the level today and filling it up.

Mine burns about a quart every 2-3 thousand miles or so. You have stay on top of it otherwise your oil level will drop too low and you risk catastrophic damage to the engine. Have you been checking it regularly? If not, start doing so. If you have noticed no oil spots under the truck then I suggest you run the car and check the oil level every day to see if it is dropping while the vehicle is being driven.

merlinj79 12-13-2021 09:38 AM

Yeah, they burn a little at higher mileage.

I switched to mobile 1 high mileage oil around 120K, that seems to help. It has additives which help the seals. I'm guessing valve stem guide seals are the issue (maybe with some out the rings too).

Also might be a good idea to remove the splashguard under the engine and see if it's soaking wet with oil... that could hide an oil leak. The brake vacuum pump seal is known to leak oil, and that's an easy DIY fix (they sell a kit). You can see that from the top of the engine if it's leaking.

flybd5 12-13-2021 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by merlinj79 (Post 803973)
I switched to mobile 1 high mileage oil around 120K, that seems to help. It has additives which help the seals.

I bought a case of that and still have to add a quart every 3,000 miles. Someday soon I will have to think about tightening up things on the engine.

merlinj79 12-13-2021 12:58 PM

Wonder if the valve seals can replaced without removing the head?

flybd5 12-13-2021 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by merlinj79 (Post 804014)
Wonder if the valve seals can replaced without removing the head?

Now THAT is wishful thinking. :laugh:

ThorInc 12-13-2021 01:15 PM

Interestingly, my 2008 i6 only starts consuming oil after about 2-3K miles after a fresh oil change. Now I am using Amsoil XL with Liquimoly CeraTec during the winter months. I wonder if it may have something to do with resetting the oil service schedule counter?

flybd5 12-13-2021 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by ThorInc (Post 804019)
Interestingly, my 2008 i6 only starts consuming oil after about 2-3K miles after a fresh oil change. Now I am using Amsoil XL with Liquimoly CeraTec during the winter months. I wonder if it may have something to do with resetting the oil service schedule counter?

Huh? What would the counter have to do with oil consumption?