LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

A real SOS :) HDC System fail

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2022, 12:29 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default A real SOS :) HDC System fail

I am sitting in my disabled LR2 due to the “HDC System Fault.”

1) When I tried to start the engine again, a smoke is coming out inside the hood. Please let me know what the smoke is and where it comes from.

2) Is it would be fine for me to replace the battery? or do I need to replace the battery with the key fob as well? The key fob is working now.

It seems I am kinda stuck in Land Rover phobia.

Old 11-09-2022, 02:51 PM
Winching
Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

No way to know.

HDC involves transmission, rear diff/haldex, ABS, and probably engine. So that doesn't narrow it down much.

Smoke could be from the drive belt, if one of the pulleys is stuck. That could be alternator, AC compressor, water pump, PS pump, or tensioner/idler.

Could also an exhaust leak, electrical problem or even something on fire. Or a coolant leak if the engine is hot.

A battery isn't going to fix that.

What color smoke? What does it smell like?

Old 11-09-2022, 05:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by merlinj79
No way to know.

HDC involves transmission, rear diff/haldex, ABS, and probably engine. So that doesn't narrow it down much.

Smoke could be from the drive belt, if one of the pulleys is stuck. That could be alternator, AC compressor, water pump, PS pump, or tensioner/idler.

Could also an exhaust leak, electrical problem or even something on fire. Or a coolant leak if the engine is hot.

1. Reader says code: "P0365" | Last night, I opened that sensor and did put it back. Let me open that and put it back one more time.
2. Smoke's color was white. Smell was like a rubber or plastic burning. I can feel that smell still now. Let me take a look at tonight.
3. After being towed to my home, I replaced the battery as well because the voltage was below 12v (5-6 volts).

Thank you so much!

Old 11-09-2022, 06:06 PM
Drifting

No way to know.

P.S: After I stopped the car on the shoulder, I tried to start the engine a couple of times.
Soon after that, smoke appeared. Before that, there was no smoke.

Old 11-09-2022, 06:19 PM
Drifting

No way to know.

For the code P0365, it says Code position: "Camshaft Position Sensor "B" Circuit Bank 1"
And there is another code which came up: P0340: "Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Bank 1 or Single Sensor"

Would you mind letting me know where these sensors are in the diagram or picture?
Is that right that these two sensors are identical (front and rear)?

Last edited by bywisdom1610; 11-09-2022 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-09-2022, 09:17 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by bywisdom1610
For the code P0365, it says Code position: "Camshaft Position Sensor "B" Circuit Bank 1"
And there is another code which came up: P0340: "Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Bank 1 or Single Sensor"

Would you mind letting me know where these sensors are in the diagram or picture?
What year and engine?

Manuals are located here...

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic10621.html

Make sure you're looking at the correct engine, there are several.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:47 PM
Drifting

merlinj79,

My car is 2009 Land Rover LR2 (Engine: 6 cyl. 3.2)

I just need to know whether for P0365, I need to replace the Camshaft Position Sensor
AND for P0340, I need to do the same sensor. I have tried to look up these cases on youtube but I couldn't find them.

It seems that the Camshaft Position sensors (#1 and $3) are identical as in the below picture that one guy posted before in this forum:

Last edited by bywisdom1610; 11-09-2022 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-10-2022, 11:03 AM
Winching

I don't know which bank that code correlates to, I didn't see it in the manual but only looked briefly (it's in the link I posted above, section 303-14A in the MY2007 manual which should be accurate for my 2008 and your 2009).

On this car I'd "assume" that both sensors are in bank 1, and that sensor B is exhaust but not sure about that.

IMO both codes could result from a single sensor (or associated wiring).

If it were me, I'd visually check the connectors and wires. I've had rodent issues, they seem to like the wires. Also if the connector was removed to change spark plugs, etc the locking tab likely broke due to age and it could have come loose... make sure it's seated and if the lock is broken (no click) use a ziptie to secure it.

If the wiring looks good, then I'd buy one sensor and replace the exhaust side. If that fixes it, great. If not I'd then swap the new sensor onto the intake side and see if that fixes it. I can only find one part number, so it should be same part.

If that doesn't fix it, then maybe both failed but that seems kind of unlikely unless it's a wire harness problem. At that point I'd probably dig further into the manual or take it to the shop, but you could try another new sensor, on the remote chance both failed.

The following users liked this post:
bywisdom1610 (11-10-2022)
Old 11-10-2022, 02:10 PM
Drifting

I don't know which bank that code correlates to, I didn't see it in the manual but only looked briefly (it's in the link I posted above, section 303-14A in the MY2007 manual which should be accurate for my 2008 and your 2009).

On this car I'd "assume" that both sensors are in bank 1, and that sensor B is exhaust but not sure about that.

IMO both codes could result from a single sensor (or associated wiring).

If it were me, I'd visually check the connectors and wires. I've had rodent issues, they seem to like the wires. Also if the connector was removed to change spark plugs, etc the locking tab likely broke due to age and it could have come loose... make sure it's seated and if the lock is broken (no click) use a ziptie to secure it.

If the wiring looks good, then I'd buy one sensor and replace the exhaust side. If that fixes it, great. If not I'd then swap the new sensor onto the intake side and see if that fixes it. I can only find one part number, so it should be same part.

If that doesn't fix it, then maybe both failed but that seems kind of unlikely unless it's a wire harness problem. At that point I'd probably dig further into the manual or take it to the shop, but you could try another new sensor, on the remote chance both failed.
Thank you!
Maybe after I fix these problems, I think I need to sell this LR2^^.
My car was towed to my home yesterday. So I don't feel secure driving this car.
It seems a lot of unexpected problems in this car are waiting for me.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:25 PM
Drifting

merinj79,

You said:

"If the wiring looks good, then I'd buy one sensor and replace the exhaust side. If that fixes it, great. If not I'd then swap the new sensor onto the intake side and see if that fixes it. I can only find one part number, so it should be same part."

I just replaced the Camshaft Position Sensors (both). But I still can't start the engine.
The dashboard says "System in progress."
1. Do you know what "System in progress" means?

2. Can you let me know the exact sensor part number or its name in "the exhaust side"?

Last edited by bywisdom1610; 11-11-2022 at 10:28 PM.

Quick Reply: A real SOS :) HDC System fail