LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Transmission Fault Traction Reduced

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 02:45 PM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Transmission Fault Traction Reduced

Hello All,

This is my first post, and after reading through some of the other threads I notice that other people have encountered the same issue (indicator message shown in subject line of post) as I have. Basically, around 2 weeks ago I started getting the "Transmission Fault Traction Reduced" warning indicator. It would stay on, but after shutting the car off and then restarting it the next day or whatever it would be gone-only to return again at some other seemingly random time.

I took the car into the dealer where I was told that there were software issues. Fine. I picked up the car, and on my way home from the dealer it popped on again. So back it went. This time I was told that the software was corrupted and so they would have to reinstall. So they did, and the service tech requested that he be allowed to drive the car himself to see if the problem happened again. I agreed, and after reporting back to me that he didn't see the problem I got the car back.

One week after getting the car back, I go outside in the morning to try to start it and get NOTHING. Put the key in, depress the brake, hit the start button and the dash lights up like a Christmas tree. Now I got a HDC message telling me the system was unavailable, I got the Transmission FaultTraction Reduced message again and then all power just went out.

Another random thing is that I always leave the headlights in "auto" position and it was occurring to me that if I go through a tunnel or something the lights would kick on but then wouldn't shut back off after the car returned to daylight. I mentioned this to the dealer who told me that he didn't notice the problem when he drove it. Very very frustrating.

Anyway, I had the car towed to the dealer where it currently is being checked. I talked to my service tech a bit ago who seemed to think that the problem was that the key had gotten stuck in the car which then drained the battery. I politely told him that that was impossible. I had shut the car off on a Saturday, removed the key just fine, then upon trying to start the car sunday morning is when all the problems occurred. Strange, he said. I agreed.

Anyway, I bought the car in April 2007. I drive the car only on weekends, and have only 7500 miles on it. The MOST frustrating part for me is that these are not problems I should be having on a car that I paid 40K for...

I am going to request that they check the entire electrical system as well as the charging system. As an aside, I have a question-is there ANY way to drain the battery on this car IF the key is not in it? For example, in my experience, how could the battery have possibly been drained? I park right outside my window and would not have simply "missed" that my lights were inexplicably left on. Is there anything else that would drain the battery? Also, even if the lights WERE to be left on, doesn't the car have an "auto-off" feature to prevent just such an occurrence?

Any help or insight would be much appreciated!

Old 11-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Transmission Fault Traction Reduced

This is another common issue. The following should have the software updated by now: Instrument Cluster Control Module, Body Control Module, Solar Sensor Configuration, Powertrain Control Module. All of these are tied to random no-starts. As far as the Transmission fault message, there should be a fault code stored(at least one) and it doesn't necessarily mean it is in the Transmission Control Module, the fault will probably be found in the Rear Differential Control Module(possible P1889-74:Oil Pressure Pump Performance). If the technician can't figure it out, insist they call Land Rover Techline, that is what the line is there for.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:30 AM
5th Gear

First off, thanks very much for the reply!

Secondly, how do I know if all of the things that you listed have been updated via software updates? Simply ask them, or is there another way to tell?

The last time the car was in there, the service tech told me that he called the Land Rover Techline and then did what they told him. Then I had the complete power failure issue.

I can't help thinking that it is something to do with the battery and/or charging system.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:23 AM
5th Gear

As an update, I just heard back from the service tech who informed me that they had to put in new software for the starter module (whatever that means). I asked him about the battery and he told me that they recharged it.

To be honest I don't feel real confident about that answer. I asked him if they checked the charging system and he said that was part of the diagnosis when it came in with no power. Everything checked out okay he said.

His explanation to me was that due to the error in the starter module the car thought it was in the "on" position and drained the power overnight. Not sure if that makes any sense to me, but maybe some of the more experienced members of the forum can give me some insight on that...

Old 11-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

sounds like bs on the part of the tech. anyway, as to the batt drain, yeah, there are many computers in the car and they all have a very specific power down routine, if one of them gets confused(much like your pc freezing up for a minute or two) then it can through off the routine, causing the battery to drain down because the car, or parts of the car are still awake. as to the traction fault, tacoma is right, theres an updated sensor that fixes this problem, however software does not take care of it.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:20 AM
5th Gear

Thanks very much for the response. Well, as I was driving the car yesterday I got yet another transmission fault error message so the car is back in the shop for the 3rd time for this problem. I talked to the guy and he informed me that they were going to fax all of my records to land rover and talk to them directly so that they can figure out the problem. I told the tech that it doesn't appear that software is correcting the issue. As roverguy suggests, perhaps an updated sensor is the ticket. I just really hope that Land Rover instructs them to check for and replace it.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:09 PM
5th Gear

Okay, just as an update and for any people who may be faced with the same problem...

I just spoke with the service tech and he informed me that there IS a problem with the vehicle (no kidding). The problem, which won't be a surprise to those here, is with a pressure sensor for the rear differential.

That is almost done getting fixed and I will pick it up tonight. Hopefully this will finally fix the problem! Thanks again to those that helped me out!

The following 2 users liked this post by Cooper3:
Kylee L Hall (08-07-2020), Taff61 (06-20-2019)
Old 12-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy to be of service.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:22 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fault Traction Reduced

Cooper3,

I'm a new owner of Freelander 2. Unfortunately my car have the same fault message 'Transmission Fault Traction Reduced' just after few days of delivery. I intend to bring the car the dealer next week. Knowing the local dealer limited capability in finding the exact problem, I need to know if this is really caused by the pressure sensor for the rear differential as you mentioned? And has there been any other fault warning or problems after that?

Freelandy

Old 05-08-2010, 09:55 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

it s probably is the rear diff pressure sensor but it comes as an assembly and has to be approved for replacement by LR. We have a list of stuff that has to be approved by LR in order to replace it like engines and transmissions and audio parts like radios and amps.

The following users liked this post:
Taff61 (06-20-2019)

Quick Reply: Transmission Fault Traction Reduced