LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18" Wheels for LR3/4

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 02:36 PM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts
Default 18" Wheels for LR3/4

Looking to get out of you 19" wheels and go with 18" for more tire selection and off road capability? Consider going with these wheel from Compomotive. Got the best deal from the UK on these right now and can usually ship to your door in about 7 days. Check them out and the cost here:
Special Promotions

Name:  Black%20PD1880%20front.jpg
Views: 2896
Size:  22.4 KB

The come in black or grey:

Name:  853_z.jpg
Views: 5752
Size:  81.1 KB

They will fit the LR3 or LR4 without any modifications and sit 10 mm wider than stock which will help with larger tires. They are made from heat treated alloy and tested to a rating of 2,160 lbs. Originally developed for use in the Dakar rally raid event on the Land Rover Bowler Nemesis. They use the original lug nuts and center caps and are powder coated using a 7 stage system.

Here is some feedback on the wheels, 32 inch tires and a Johnson Rod 2.5 inch lift kit all working together:

Greg:

I’ve been very happy with the Michelins – my first impressions relayed to Barry have held up. They’re quiet, ride great, and look good. They barely touch the ends of the frame rails at full steering lock with a bit of compression on the suspension, like when you’re backing out at the bottom of a steep driveway or in a relatively high speed u-turn in traffic. It’s just enough to polish the paint off the ends of the frame rails, but I’d opt for them again in a second. My passengers always expect the LR4 to ride like a Conestoga wagon based on the lift and tires, but it retains that amazing Land Rover air suspension ride quality, even better than the factory setup, probably because of the taller sidewall, though I bet that could be different with the load range E tires many folks choose. I picked the Michelins precisely because they weren’t load range E. I’m sure the guys who do serious and frequent off-roading are happy to exchange some cushy ride for the tougher sidewalls on the heavy duty tires.

Also been very happy with the towing performance with the Johnson Rods and tires, I attached one more picture for fun of how she looks with the travel trailer. The trailer is a 26”, well over 5k lbs loaded, and obviously pushes a lot of air. The effective higher gearing of the bigger tires works out beautifully with the transmission ratios – 5th gear is perfect for cruising at 70 mph. Before the change with the factory wheels and tires, 6th was a little too tall and 5th was a little too short for highway cruising. And on big hills, the downshift to 4th puts the 5.0L right to 3k rpm at 70 mph, which seems to be a great torque sweet spot for the engine and handles all but the steepest hills, which you usually wouldn’t want 70 mph for anyway. I had some concerns about it getting a little squirrely while towing with the extra sidewall squish of the 32” tires, but it performs beautifully.

Whenever you spend money to modify a car, the expectations are high and there’s usually some level of minor (or major) disappointment, but I’ve been exceptionally happy with the combination of the Johnson Rods, the Compomotive wheels, and the Michelins LTX A/T2's. Genuinely thrilled.

Best regards,

Mike

Name:  LR4%20black%20compo%20with%20jrod%20lift%20front%20side.jpeg
Views: 3658
Size:  694.1 KB

Name:  LR4%20Towing.jpg
Views: 2172
Size:  1.92 MB
LR3 Lift Kit, LR4 Lift Kit, Johnson Rods

Last edited by Johnson Rods; 02-12-2022 at 10:34 AM.