LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 lr3 rotational faint thuds

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 lr3 rotational faint thuds

I have noticed for awhile that I hear a faint deep thuds. seems like the thuds are happening as the wheels are turning every rotation I hear a slight thud all the time at all speeds but while cruising you don't hear them because of the road noise. some recent work that I have had done in less than 200 miles include new alignment because of new control arms & tie rods being installed as well as a new set of cooper tires. the faint rotational thud was there before I even had the parts and tires replaced. you can hear it really well while off the gas and anywhere from the 5-55 mph. have no idea where to start to trouble shoot. Just seems like when ever the truck is rolling the thud is there. does not get loader or quieter. its very faint but enough for me to point out . its the same sound hot or cold weather.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:24 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it change depending on which direction you are steering ? My wheel bearing(s) made a similar warning sound before they gave up...

Old 11-25-2014, 07:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Not doesn't do it more when turning. I thought the wheel bearing would humm when faulty
Originally Posted by stmcknig
Does it change depending on which direction you are steering ? My wheel bearing(s) made a similar warning sound before they gave up...

Old 11-26-2014, 12:17 AM
Mudding

So where is it coming from - front/back/left/right ? I'd be tempted to rotate the wheels and see if the noise moves with it as a starting point...

Old 12-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Mudding
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Moorebl - I believe I have EXACTLY the same issue. I think the word "thud" explains my noise. Also just changed Tires, and also just changed left and right inner and outer Tie Rods. Also changed front left (driver) Half Shaft, due to ripped Boot. And just changed front Diff fluid, Transfer Case fluid, and Transmission fluid. And had Alignment done. I have probably had my 'thud' noise for a while, but didn't notice it until I did the other work. In trying to determine my noise, I posed the question on various Forums, and somebody said it's probably wheel-bearing related. Up until now, I thought wheel bearing noise is always a 'constant' noise (of course changing pitch and volume depending on speed), but apparently some people report that it can indeed be not-constant (i.e. thud-thud-thud). My noise is very faint. So, can others confirm, can wheel bearings make this noise when they are just STARTING to go bad? Mine has 90,000 on the clock, so certainly could be wheel bearings. By the way, I have a very small 'sweet spot', where there is zero noise. When steering wheel is turned just left of center. A degree or 2 either way causes the noise to return.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:38 AM
Mudding

I had both front wheel bearings replaced at around 80K miles. One actually failed on me with a loud knocking ( I thought the transmission had exploded) and I replaced the other as a "it's probably about time" given the mileage.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Three Wheeling

there is no loud thuds. its ever so slight but as the truck rotates the thud is there. if I let of the gas its there. if I apply breaks its there. no need to rotate my tires as they are spanking new and it was there before I got them. the noise is unnoticeable while cruising. just don't want to be dumped in this thing with my family in it. its been very reliable thus far and I keep up on all my maint.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To take driveline out of the equation, take your foot off throttle and if you hear it shift into neutral. Does it go away?

Old 12-07-2014, 07:20 PM
Three Wheeling

took the driveline out of the equation. it stil does it while coasting in neutral. maybe wheel bearings are starting to go. who knows. open to more test and suggestions

Old 08-25-2021, 08:16 AM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm In the same boat here after doing a 3 Inch lift, New tires, driver's side wheel bearing... now i get this faint consistent thud up front as it rolls seemingly at any time gas or no gas. I have to check the Drive shaft next due to increase angle to see if this is an issue. It did not make this noise before the lift... SMDH