LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 LR3 Terrain Control Switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 03:52 PM
Drifting
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2005 LR3 Terrain Control Switch

Hey guys... I've searched the threads but this is kind of an odd question.

2005 LR3... chasing the "xmass light dash" issue. I'm checking for fouled/loose wires in center console.

The 5 position Terrain Control dial that sits just in front of the Yellow descent button... Is this dial supposed to be limited to 5 positions?

My dials clicks around a full 360 degrees. In fact it can keep clicking in either direction on and on. It is not limited to 5 clicks right and 5 clicks left.

What is normal for the LR3? Limited to 5 positions or will keep going in either direction beyond 5 positions?

Old 08-24-2021, 05:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

That is normal. That is the physical behavior of the ****. The functional behavior, though, would only allow selection of the modes shown. If you get to Rock Crawl for example, continued clockwise rotation results in the retention of Rock Crawl.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:14 PM
Drifting

Thanks houm_wa. I appreciate it. The cause of the electrical issue continues. Have you heard of the Terrain Selection switches ever going bad?

Colby

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 07:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

I haven't....but that doesn't rule it out. EAS switches go bad, and they are right next to the TR switch!

Old 08-24-2021, 08:04 PM
Drifting

I'm getting U0121 and U0122 codes... dash lit up... System check on dash says limited gears available... Suspension failure... etc... suspension lowered

Cranks and runs... idles... but limited to the single gear...

I'm chasing down possible causes after reading for hours on the forum... Brake Switch... Rear Bulbs... Wiring in both floor sills... TCM (replaced with a known good unit)... no change..

Now onto what some people have said is a bad wire or switch in center console. No signs of spilt drink or water in center console and connections look good. So thinking bad switch maybe... I've seen a center console until with all switches on EBAY for like $100. I may just pick it up to try and swap the switches and see
what that does.

I'll let you know what happens.

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (08-24-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 10:31 AM
Winching
Received 115 Likes on 104 Posts

The live values section of the Gap iiD Tool can show if the switch works or not. I have used it to determine if the ECUs see the switch change state and if it is functioning. Yet another great feature of the GAP tool.
Pays for itself buy not having to buy parts that are still working.

Jeff

General Disclaimer: I may be wrong.

Old 08-29-2021, 10:53 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

Sounds like a blown ABS pump fuse or damaged ABS sensor. With ABS out, other systems go down. But, stuck in a single gear is the odd thing. That would not be caused by a bad ABS pump as far as I know. So you could have two separate issues or one single cause.

If a single cause I would look for water entry that may have messed with the CJB behind the glove box. if the brain of the truck gets well, well all sorta of issue can happen. There is also a transmission capacitor under the truck. Google it (pics/location). If it fails it can cause transmission issues. Unlike the LR4, the LR3 can operate with it unplugged. So simply unplugging it can sometimes fix trans issues. Not a common thing, but happens.

Are you using a generic code reader? There may be many more specific codes if you have a GAP tool or such.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:43 PM
Drifting

Hi DakotaTraveler. Nice to meet you. Thanks for the response.

I'm not actually sure if it is stuck in 1 gear. I know when I drove it off the flat bed it arrived on (I bought it from out of state knowing it had issues)... the
dash messaging said lots of things but 1 was something like "transmission Fault... not all gears are available". I only drove it from the cul de sac to the driveway.

I picked the LR3 up for super cheap and I couldn't pass it up. 74,000 miles, rust free from Arizona, and in perfect shape... still smells like new leather inside. It say at a guys
Scottsdale home and was only driven when they were in town (thus the 74,000miles).

I'll have to check the ABS fuse (I changed all fuses under the hood... so if the ABS fuse is there it is new). I had heard of the ABS wheel sensor going bad and causing all sort of crap but havn't gotten
there yet. Passenger footwell is dry as hell. Driver footwell was soaked and I tracked tot he sunroof drain elbow that had crumbled. Driver's door channel were all the wires route was sitting in about 1/4" of water.

I pulled up the carpet... dried best I could... then put a monster blower on the underside of the carpet for 3 days. Its dry as can be know and the drain is fixed.

My first thought was wire splices in the driver floor channel... But there aren't really any splices there and the wires look good.

I'm using a iCarSoft LR2 Diagnostic tool that has Land Rover specific functions on it. I hear the GAP tool is much better at tracking issues like this. I may to bit the bullet and buy it.

I have new Terrain control and EParking Brake Switches coming tomorrow and will try those out. If the issue persists my next step is to dive into the GAP tool I think.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:47 PM
Drifting

A few pics of the project

Old 08-31-2021, 07:51 PM
Drifting

few more pics

Quick Reply: 2005 LR3 Terrain Control Switch