LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 suspension compressor

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 11:33 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 suspension compressor

It appears that my compressor on my 2005 LR3 is having a little bit of problem… Should I buy a new one? OEM? Aftermarket?

Has anyone rebuilt these and had success??

Thanks

Last edited by Morgan1281; 03-09-2016 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Missed something
Old 03-09-2016, 11:39 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Didn't we already address this?

Have you had the codes read to verify that it's the compressor? Does the EAS raise at all or just crap out immediately? If it's the compressor, they've been rebuilt but that's hard to find. There are aftermarket ones but they haven't been found to be all that great. OEM is probably the way to go. Particularly if you're going to keep the LR3 a while, I'd go with the new AMK.

The following users liked this post:
jafir (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Didn't we already address this?

Have you had the codes read to verify that it's the compressor? Does the EAS raise at all or just crap out immediately? If it's the compressor, they've been rebuilt but that's hard to find. There are aftermarket ones but they haven't been found to be all that great. OEM is probably the way to go. Particularly if you're going to keep the LR3 a while, I'd go with the new AMK.
when you say the aftermarket aren't all that great, are you talking about the dorman compressors? I was considering getting one, they look just like the Hitachi, but are about $150 cheaper, and about half of what an AMK runs. The way I see it, the Hitachi lasted 10 years, so if I get almost that long out of another, I'd rather save some money.

I think I'm going to try an clean the front valve block first though... I've noticed that the front raises VERY slowly, so I'm wondering if I've got a leak up there.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

FWIW, the front always raises slower than the rear. How slow is tough to specify, but don't take that alone as a problem.

If you're sure the compressor is going, the first place I'd look is here:
Amazon.com: LAND ROVER LR3 / DISCOVERY 3 HITACHI AIR COMPRESSOR AND FILTER DRYER REPAIR KIT: Automotive Amazon.com: LAND ROVER LR3 / DISCOVERY 3 HITACHI AIR COMPRESSOR AND FILTER DRYER REPAIR KIT: Automotive

This kit addresses the most common failure points of the compressor itself - the desiccant that breaks down and the cracking between the air fittings on the stock plastic cap. While you're at it, it re-rings the compressor piston so you're pretty much good to go.

I actually have one of these kits sitting on my self along with my old compressor. I've been meaning to rebuild it and keep it as a spare (I bought an AMK before I knew about this kit), I just haven't had the need to do it yet so it's just sitting around.

I'd say it's well worth the $100.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

I meant slow compared to my previous lr3. Like so slow I'm afraid it will never come up and I get an error on the dash saying suspension rising slowly or something.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

I'm also wondering about all of the fitting that he plastic lines go into. Some of them feel very loose. I'm wondering if they are leaking from those. I already rebuilt the dryer and it actually made things worse.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Jafir, seems like you're gonna pay ~$300 less for the Hitachi and then probably pay that difference over the years maintaining it, as it's been noted as being inferior to the AMK; but that's conjecture.

Yeah I read elsewhere that the Dorman was no good.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

That's good to know about the dorman. Maybe I'll step back and consider my options more carefully.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

If you're getting the slow to raise warning and the compressor is just hammering away for minutes at a time then it does sound like either it's worn out or you have a leak. Have you pulled the fuses to see if/what corner settles overnight? The reason I ask is you mention the Voss fittings seem loose - they shouldn't really. I've had them leak occasionally when the internal O-ring was damaged. If you can actually wiggle the tube in the fitting, try spraying it with soapy water and see if you get bubbles when moving it. That's a sure sign of a bad fitting.

jafir (03-09-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Well thanks to Abran, I've got a low mileage AMK compressor and all of the valve blocks (in case one is leaking) ready to install and Erik at lucky8 is ordering me the compressor airline fitting kit, so hopefully I'll be back, sitting level, and fault free pretty soon.

WNYErikDiscoII (03-16-2016)

Quick Reply: 2005 suspension compressor