LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 LR3 lower brake lights out

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 04:44 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schwaggy
It's normal. Read above.
I am having the same problem. What I think he is saying and I am as well we have no lower brake lights and no fault codes. Fuses are fine, Suspension is working. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:54 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by EastCoast
The brake lights are only on the top... the lowers are just running lights. Sounds like you have a bad upper brake light bulb.
Hi, The lower brake lights are out and I have no codes in the computer. I went ahead and checked the bulbs which have been working fine for about 2 years. They were fine. Went ahead and replaced the brake peddle switch with no effect. Now I am on to more serious trouble shooting. I think that I lost the lights when I used my HDC but can't be sure. Shortly after the hill I did get a warning light about suspension fault. I took a look at the onboard computer and did see my hight sensor was little out of wack so I pulled off the road and turned the car off and on and the malfunction was gone. The question of the day is where should I look next? Matt

Old 07-18-2017, 07:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by manatee2000@gmail.com
Hi, The lower brake lights are out and I have no codes in the computer. I went ahead and checked the bulbs which have been working fine for about 2 years. They were fine. Went ahead and replaced the brake peddle switch with no effect. Now I am on to more serious trouble shooting. I think that I lost the lights when I used my HDC but can't be sure. Shortly after the hill I did get a warning light about suspension fault. I took a look at the onboard computer and did see my hight sensor was little out of wack so I pulled off the road and turned the car off and on and the malfunction was gone. The question of the day is where should I look next? Matt
What EastCoast is trying to say is that you do not have lower brake lights. You have an upper and lower light on each side. Both upper and lowers operate as tail lights and come on with your headlights. However, only the upper lights act as brake lights. The bottoms use the same dual wattage bulbs, but if you look at the back of the lights, you will see 3 wires going into the top bulbs and only two wires going into the bottom bulbs. That's because the bottoms only light up with one intensity... tail light brightness. There's nothing wrong with your car.

The following users liked this post:
manatee2000@gmail.com (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 10:03 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by cmb6s
What EastCoast is trying to say is that you do not have lower brake lights. You have an upper and lower light on each side. Both upper and lowers operate as tail lights and come on with your headlights. However, only the upper lights act as brake lights. The bottoms use the same dual wattage bulbs, but if you look at the back of the lights, you will see 3 wires going into the top bulbs and only two wires going into the bottom bulbs. That's because the bottoms only light up with one intensity... tail light brightness. There's nothing wrong with your car.
I Kinda of figured that is where he was going in his response. But what I believe the person who started this is saying we only have the single center brake light working and for a lake of a better term the the other Brake lights don't come on at all. The bulbs test out fine and have been working for 2 years. I have switched out my rear brake light switch and have evaluated / Tested all the fuses with no success. Just trying to figure out where I might go to from here..

Old 07-18-2017, 10:35 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

You are refering to the "third" brake light mounted on the top of the hatch... it was not clear in the OP or in your post that this was the only one working...

As for your tail light brake lights not working, I am at a loss but there are some smarter biscuits than me on here that might have a suggestion now that we have the problem properly mapped out.

manatee2000@gmail.com (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 01:58 PM
Overlanding
Default occam's razor

Applied occam's razor to the problem today. After trouble shooing all other potential problems. Went back and Checked the Bulbs again and replaced them with some off the shelf ones I had in the garage and walala lights. Brake lights. I think that I was so mad at the Rover that I did not do a through job on the most obvious potential problem. Thank you for everyone who responded. Problem solved by different bulbs.

josher-mi (06-26-2019)
Old 07-18-2017, 09:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default off the shelf bulbs may cause other concerns

First off, congratulations.

To throw a bit of cold water on your success, I might suggest to go a dealer, (Land Rover, Mercedes, Volvo) and purchase four factory P21/5 bulbs.

The reason for that is if your bulbs are far east manufactured, they may have significant variations in their amp ratings and that can throw the computers that are constantly checking the filaments.

That is why when you hook up a trailer with LED bulbs, funny things start to happen - the computers are not set up for LED bulbs, or off spec tungsten.

For what it is worth, the filaments stand vertical on all OEM factory spec bulbs whereas the Eastern variety, well you can have variety.

The reason the vertical filament matters is that when a vertical filament fails and drops, it tend not to not drop across the second filament - if it does, then more funny problems result.

The link is to more than you want to know about P21/5 bulbs.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Brake Light Switch Replacement/Land Rover Stop Tail Light dual filament bulb nominal 12 volt 21 / 5 watt filaments

Old 09-21-2020, 08:02 AM
Default Brake light fix

[QUOTE=Stilts;465389]I have this exact same problem. Did you find the solution? Does anybody have any other suggestions?[/QUOTE

hi there ,,had this same problem ,,I tried everything I was told ,from fuses to bulbs brake switch and everything else ,,,,,,found the fix ,,,as many people know replacing a blown bulb is simple ,,and yes it is ,,,but as I found out it was not ,,,you have to pay attention when replacing bulb if u place them the wrong way round the lights and brake lights will light up as if brake light are on ,,so please pay attention to the way you insert bulb into the socket ,,

bbyer (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 09:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default filaments to be vertical

[QUOTE=Dominic J Sampere;743653]
Originally Posted by Stilts
I have this exact same problem. Did you find the solution? Does anybody have any other suggestions?[/QUOTE
hi there ,,had this same problem ,,I tried everything I was told ,from fuses to bulbs brake switch and everything else ,,,,,,found the fix ,,,as many people know replacing a blown bulb is simple ,,and yes it is ,,,but as I found out it was not ,,,you have to pay attention when replacing bulb if u place them the wrong way round the lights and brake lights will light up as if brake light are on ,,so please pay attention to the way you insert bulb into the socket ,,
You might also note post #17 above regarding the filaments standing up - a detail but that does matter. Also the concern about using off shore bulbs is of significance as well.
You may wish to review the various files per the link below related to the brake light switch and brake wiring circuits. In brief, the 3 is not a Jeep - the details matter.

I appreciated your candor re the letting us know about your fix - it will be helpful to others.
https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thu...php?album=5082

Last edited by bbyer; 03-07-2023 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-07-2023, 01:57 PM
4th Gear
Default Land Rover 3 ambigos solved 100% with proof)

[quote=bbyer;743666]
Originally Posted by Dominic J Sampere
You might also not post #17 above regarding the filaments standing up - a detail but that does matter. Also the concern about using off shore bulbs is of significance as well.
You may wish to review the various files per the link below related to the brake light switch and brake wiring circuits. In brief, the 3 is not a Jeep - the details matter.

I appreciated your candor re the letting us know about your fix - it will be helpful to others.
https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thu...php?album=5082
Land Rover 3 ambigos solved 100% with proof)

Below the front right foot mate lots of cables are going backwards from the firewall , wity in these cable is a connection with splicers which is broken or rusted that causes initially intermittent and later on permanent break fault ( 3 amigos hdc , suspension , and special program off faults)

here is a link which is not very clear but enough to work on !!

Land Rover 3 ambigos solved 100% with proof)

bbyer (03-07-2023)