LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 ECU replacement/repair question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 08:49 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

So looks like my ECU is dead on CAN lines.

Anyone have suggestions for replacement or repair of the ECU?

I hope there may be an alternative to the dealer.

Thanks!

Old 09-18-2013, 06:57 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When you turn on the vehicle, the modules that are good will go off. For example if the rcm is good it will flash and then go off. if the ebrake is good it will do the same. The CEL and the ABS will not go off till started. They are on the tail end of the can bus. But whatever goes off, you start after that module to see what is going on.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Mudding

Hi Rovin,

Thanks for the input. From what I described, do you feel that the ECM is NOT the problem? Seems like the short on the CAN bus was gone when I unplugged the ECM connector mentioned above.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I have not seen a PCM cause this to happen, but anything is possible. Without the vehicle in hand, electrical diagnosis gets tricky.

I haven't re-read the entire thread, and don't recall if you already have, but I would replace the t-case ECU before the PCM, far more common issue, and also much less expensive. The PCM will need to be a VIN coded, and can not be swapped from car to car, at least that is what LR has always told me when it comes to this model, never tried, so cannot say 100%.

Also, 95 ohms across the high/low sides of the HS CAN with that connector undone, is not what you 'should' get, as you will have the ABS separated from the DLC, so you should see 120 ohms from the terminating resistor in the IP.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:00 PM
Mudding

That made me laugh, "electrical diagnosis gets tricky"
It is difficult with vehicle, impossible via forum? lol
I do appreciate your efforts and input.

As for replacing the t-case ECU, that could be done. Do we know if it is VIN coded, or can I get one from a bone yard with matching numbers and be good to go? (why do I feel that would be too easy)

Thanks!! I'm determined to get this thing running...

Old 09-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

TCCM is not VIN coded, and would sort out CAN issues if just swapped(if it's at fault) but you would need to calibrate the t-case for proper functionality, and to get rid of warning lamps.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:24 PM
Mudding
Smile Its ALIVE!!!

Originally Posted by roverguy7
TCCM is not VIN coded, and would sort out CAN issues if just swapped(if it's at fault) but you would need to calibrate the t-case for proper functionality, and to get rid of warning lamps.
First off, THANK YOU DAVE!!! I appreciate the patience and knowledge you offered me throughout my "project".

In the end the failing module was the TCCM. Your direction on resistance of the CAN lines really put me in the right direction. When I unplugged the hi speed CAN from the TCCM, vehicle fired right up!

Ordered new (used) TCCM and all warning lamps went out (as you said it is NOT vin coded) and proper functionality of related systems worked fine.

Hope this provides guidance and help to someone else in the future.

Regards,

Nick

BTW been driving my LR3 the last few days and loving it waaaaay more than my past three DII's :-)