LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Suspension height and Leveling

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 05:57 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Air Suspension height and Leveling

Good Morning All!
I wanted to see if I could get some insight/info on the air suspension on my 2006 LR3. (Vehicle Stats: 2006 SE V8 with 143k. I have put Proud Rhino lift linkages on as well as A/T 32.6" tire)
Question
  • Is it normal for the Vehicle to drop to access height over night? 10 hrs or so?
  • if so, would the difference be attributed to a fault height calibration? or a leak?
    • The passenger side front is consistently 1/4" to 3/4" lower than driver side front (rear, no variation but drops to access too). It is not particularly noticeable unless it was pointed out to a layman. When I leave in the morning, I wait until the truck self-levels to driving height.
I purchased in April it due to its extensive and well maintained history. I pulled the suspension height fuse and the results were the same.
I reached out to the previous LR dealer who did 95% of the work, and where it was sold and then resold through auction. They stated that there were 4 possible issues on the vehicle:
  • Possible Suspension leak: Auto dealer where I purchased stated they replaced the passenger side front air susp
  • Brakes: Dealer stated replaced
  • Possible ball joint issue: dealer none
  • VVT seal leak: dealer none
I plan on taking it to a independent LR shop, but I wanted to address the Ball joint & VVT seal, but I wanted to get some insight to the suspension issue prior to taking it in.

Thanks for any input!
James

Old 04-26-2018, 10:37 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Sounds like a leak in the air suspension to me. Any faults?

The following users liked this post:
jbullock78 (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 10:48 AM
Mudding

Houm-
No Faults that would tip anything off. Also, it raises and lowers fine, and the discrepancies remain between Front sides.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Yeah....could be a leak in the valve block(s). The check is to use a spray bottle of soapy water and spray the EAS components to look for bubbles. There are lots of posts on this board about that process. The lack of a fault is hopeful though, that your compressor is at least still good!

Old 04-26-2018, 12:32 PM
Mudding

Cool-
I will give it a try over the weekend. It appears that the compressor works fine. No strange noises and lifts without any issue. At least to a noob :-)
Thanks!

Old 04-27-2018, 10:59 AM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Just a heads up, sometimes the leaks are internal in the valve blocks (leaking from a spring back into the system) so no bubbles may not mean no problems.

The system self levels, so in order to find the culprit you'll need to disable that. You can either disconnect the battery or pull the fuses in the glovebox and under the hood for the suspension. Put it up to offroad height before you do and take measurements. If the front drops, the front valve block is suspect. If the back drops, the rear one might be bad. If just one corner drops, it's likely an air spring.

The following users liked this post:
jbullock78 (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 11:45 AM
Mudding

Thank you for the info!
Got a little project for the weekend :-)
James

Old 04-27-2018, 06:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

You mentioned that they replaced 1 front strut, is it the opposite side that is dropping ?

Old 04-28-2018, 08:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 708 Likes on 596 Posts

^ People over look this. One strut can bring down both as it compensates for the weight load. You can not physically have just one corner drop.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:57 AM
Mudding

Good Morning All-
Thank you for all your input!
Sooo- Per djkronik (I have to change my user name to something cool) suggestion, I raised the LR to Off-road height and disconnected the battery. Measurements as follows:
730pm Sat Night
Passenger side: 20.75"
Driver side 22.00"
Rear: Both 23"
630am Sunday Morning
Passenger side: 19.5"
Driver side: 21.0"
Rear: Both 23.0"

The discrepancy has been roughly 1" between Left/Right front consistently. Measuring overnight with fuse, without fuse (F26) and with disconnected battery.
As soon as hooked the battery back up, you could hear, prominently, the drop in the rear of the LR3.
It seems like it could be the valve block for the deflation over a 11 hour period and an error in height calibration between the two front shocks.

Any thoughts?
Thanks for all your input!
James

Quick Reply: Air Suspension height and Leveling