LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airing down your LR3

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 11:36 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Airing down your LR3

Question for those of you that air down on trails, if not, why?
I usually run 45 pounds on hi way but don't air down when the rest of my Jeep buddies do. They always ask why, I never have. So what is the advantage?

Old 08-04-2018, 11:48 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

More grip, I only air down in sand.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

The tires are more pliant when aired down and conform to the shape of the terrain. Also makes the ride nicer on forest service roads.

The following users liked this post:
ArmyRover (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 09:11 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would think that the suspension should compensate for the rough road. What pressure do you use when airing down?
This vehicle is new to me and I have lots of questions.
Previously I drove Mogs and Pinzgauers so the capability of this vehicle is a bit unfamiliar although it seems to be very capable.
I ride on DuraTrac 265/65/18 and they seem to be adequate for most situations.
Recently used the M/S feature on a FS road on part of the TAT south of Gypsum over Hagerman Pass, although a bit bumpy it was not terribly uncomfortable. Next step is to discover how to use the IID tool to gain a bit more height as I did dent one of the tail pipes on a trail a few weeks ago.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

I usually go down to about 25 or maybe 20....nothing crazy.

GAP has instructions on how to do that I think. It's super easy.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I air down my cooper ST MAXX's to 20/22 and it helps a lot especially during mud ruts, rocks and eroded logging roads .

Old 08-05-2018, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

How do you ike the ST MAXX tires so far? How are they wearing on the LR3?

Old 08-06-2018, 02:26 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I air down to about 25psi, mostly for a smoother ride on the rocky trails we’ve got in my area. It makes a huge difference in ride comfort. When I had a different rig on 16” tires I went down to around 15psi, but that had a lot more sidewall than my 18’s. As mentioned before it gives a more compliant tire, bigger footprint, softer ride, etc.

Don’t EVER question a Jeep guy, they’ve got ALL the answers. If you don’t believe it, just ask them!

Originally Posted by thorgal
I air down my cooper ST MAXX's to 20/22 and it helps a lot especially during mud ruts, rocks and eroded logging roads .
Originally Posted by ArmyRover
How do you ike the ST MAXX tires so far? How are they wearing on the LR3?
I’m curious about these as well. My brother just put some on his Sequoia and loves them so far. I’m curious how they respond to a fully independent suspended land yacht.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:31 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by krick3tt
Next step is to discover how to use the IID tool to gain a bit more height as I did dent one of the tail pipes on a trail a few weeks ago.
You’ll still dent the tailpipes, I just got a new dent in mine last week, even with an inch of GAP lift and in off-road height. You still need one, just don’t expect it to save the low lying tailpipes!

Old 08-06-2018, 05:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

My Discoverer ST MAXX are 265/60/18. Could or should I go bigger ? Sure, but I don't fell I need to at this point, well at least not until I find a 17" wheels.Those from Mudtech 4x4 are damn too expensive.Until then I will ride on 18's and E rated Coopers.
Do I like them ? Yes I do for what they are, great traction on slippery slops, racks and steep climbs.Deep mud I will try next weekend, but sheer weight of my truck will work against me from the very start as I ride the heaviest truck in my local Club. They are a LOT better than previous Duratracs, although the latter were a LOT quieter on the road. Overall a peace of mind in therms of load rating and tough thread is what I wanted and so...so far I am happy. Those are not my daily tires as I have a separate set of Nokians for that purpose.Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Airing down your LR3