LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator not putting out proper voltage

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 11:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I feel like you have spent more in labor on this what new would cost. Unless you don't value your time or reliability. I put a new one in, not worth my time to experiment.

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 11:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Well. I put in a new alternator. Still showing 12.7 to 12.8 volts. Is there a relay or some other limiter of some sort. I am stumped. Serpentine belt is routed correctly, cable is properly connected. Plug is well seated. Brand new interstate battery. Thanks. Phil

Old 07-21-2019, 08:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default My truck is possessed.

I hate this truck. I pulled the battery. Removed and cleaned the negative battery cable. Reinstalled the negative cable. Reinstalled battery. Started vehicle. Parking brake is on. Transfer case in in low. A mountain image is flashing on the dash. A yellow brake light is on. The center console highway and mountain lights are flashing. Truck won’t raise or lower. Doesn’t shift well. Top speed about 40. I would drive it into the ocean but I am not sure that it will go the one-half mile to get there. I am at an impasse. I must have pulled something loose. What I have no clue. I need to dig out a wiring diagram for the wires behind the battery. Pray for me. Arrrrgh. Phil

Old 07-21-2019, 08:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts
Default Ummm...

....maybe just take it to the dealer?....or Abran.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The problem is that we are always in a hurry to fix things instead of taking our time. Why is transfer case in low? I would start at square one - remove battery, while its out put it on charge to make sure it is good, check all connectors around battery box especially the ones at the rear of the box as they control many things. Check the positive cable from the alternator via the starter to the battery as it is known to short on the front diff housing. Check any connectors that may have got nudged whilst doing other things, take your time and check carefully, a connector not fully home will cause lots of problems. Sometimes cleaning connections with a cleaner helps.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for a 2006 Range Rover Sport HSE 4.4. I thought that it was save on my desktop, but I had my computer replaced and the files seem to have been deleted.....I really need Abran about 80 miles closer, or he needs to make a weekend trip to San Diego.......hint.......Phil

Old 07-22-2019, 10:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Is this the link you are looking for? https://workshop-manuals.com/landrover/

Old 07-23-2019, 02:09 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

what diagrams do you need?

Old 07-28-2019, 01:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi folks...
Just trolling through the posts while thinking about my engine replacement woes, and it occurred to me that about 90% of electrical problems are due to poor grounding connections, so perhaps that is worth a try...

metaldog (01-19-2021)
Old 09-08-2020, 02:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Going to chime in here even though this is an old thread.

I had a similar issue with my alternator. After the first one failed, I put a reman Denso in and everything appeared fine. Over the course of several days, my GAP tool shows battery voltage was slowly dropping from 14.2 to 13.9 to 13.5 and on and on until it hit around 12.8V. At that point, my dash lit up like a Christmas tree. I had a friend jump me and charge the battery up, which removed the errors on the dash.

I put another Denso reman the next day and it was giving me the same problem. I couldn't figure out what was going on. As the truck ran, I noticed a clicking noise coming from the relays / battery area. Upon closer inspection, it looked as if the battery Ground was arcing. I did notice the little metal U latch underneath the screw that locks the Ground cable to the battery post was not sitting flush (it was perpendicular). Once I resat the Ground cable on the battery, the truck began operating normally between 13.8V and 14.2V.

So moral of the story: check your grounds.

metaldog (01-19-2021)

Quick Reply: Alternator not putting out proper voltage