LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any luck with eBay fob and IIDTOOL?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 09:10 AM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Any luck with eBay fob and IIDTOOL?

Purchased a used LR3 with only one key. Picked up an IIDTOOL BT as it can program keys. The two eBay keys I picked are the right frequency, but fail to program. Seller is willing to send me new fobs, but wonder if there's an issue with the non-OEM fobs and IIDTOOL.
Could try a locksmith with another key programmer.

As an FYI, to cut the key, we figured out to use Ford settings in the machine. This was the skinny blade.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

I haven't tried this yet with mine but need to as I only have one key as well

The following users liked this post:
Geo (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 09:34 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I have and have not been successful in programming those cheap eBay knock offs.

I would say 60% success rate(I bought 10 when they first came out). Part of the success lies in coding your original key first, then the new one after in the sequence(all remotes that you plan to use need to be coded at the same time or they will no longer work).

From the tests I have done, it seems the non OEM not only do not have a rechargeable battery, but do not have the circuitry to charge the battery.

My local locksmiths cut the keys for me in 2 ways.

One is to insert blade into a scanner and get a 4 digit code back from a data base, then enter that code into a special machine and cut the blank. I'm told that machine is over 30k. The locksmith charges $60 for the first and any after using the said code are $10.

The other is using a sidewinder machine that traces the key while another arm cuts the blank. They charge $30 for that service.

Last edited by abran; 08-29-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Geo (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 09:57 AM
Geo
Rock Crawling

Thanks for your reply. I was curious about the success rate with these knock-offs. I was careful to follow the procedure and excellent YouTube videos on using the tool. I used Foothill Locksmith in Pasadena. $25 each. They tried to scan also, it needed to know the manufacturer, Ford in this case, before it would assign a key code. He was nice enough to write it down for me.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:33 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not tried the eBay fobs yet but I have bought new fobs from forum member abran. After the locksmith sidewinder cut them, zero issues with programming with the IId. It may be worth the extra expense with abran to avoid the aggravation.

abran (08-29-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 05:19 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling

Seller sent me two more fobs. I swapped over the cut keys. These programmed up the first time. One of two will not lock or unlock (buttons), but will start the Rover. I'm ok with that.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Man, I don't know if we just have crappy locksmiths in Northern Virginia or what, but I've tried two different well reviewed locksmiths in this area and both have managed to completely bungle cutting the LR3 key. I'd love to try one of Abran's keys to have a spare, but until I can find a locksmith who's worth his salt, I don't think I'm going to take the risk.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:45 PM
Baja

Send me your address and I'll send you as many blanks as you need to go test out new locksmiths.

cmb6s (09-05-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 10:50 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by Geo
Seller sent me two more fobs. I swapped over the cut keys. These programmed up the first time. One of two will not lock or unlock (buttons), but will start the Rover. I'm ok with that.
i know a guy that said he got an immobilizer key made at ACE that worked, but never saw it. Alarm still needed to be turned off with a remote if he opened the door with the ACE key.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:13 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by cmb6s
Man, I don't know if we just have crappy locksmiths in Northern Virginia or what, but I've tried two different well reviewed locksmiths in this area and both have managed to completely bungle cutting the LR3 key. I'd love to try one of Abran's keys to have a spare, but until I can find a locksmith who's worth his salt, I don't think I'm going to take the risk.
also, I can order factory cut key blades from LR for under $80.

cmb6s (09-05-2017)

Quick Reply: Any luck with eBay fob and IIDTOOL?