LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any reason to keep used front struts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 07:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Any reason to keep used front struts?

I swapped out the original front struts on our 2005 LR3 with 138,000 miles. Changed them out for Arnott AS-2809. I did a quick run around the block. The new struts feel much firmer than the old ones. Reminds me more of the ride in our 2006 Range Rover Sport.

any reason to keep the old struts? Does anybody want them? (Free if you want to pick them up. No shipping). Thx. Phil

Old 09-14-2019, 10:38 AM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Arnott used to buy them back as cores, I believe. Glad you were able to get that done!
How did the install go? Did they include air line extenders?

The following users liked this post:
ljdiscovery (09-14-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 12:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Install went well. A second pair of hands to help attach the lower bolt was helpful. I put a jack and a block of wood under the bottom of the strut to line it up with the mounting holes. One strut had three new nuts to bolt up the top of the strut along with a new Voss fitting. The other strut didn’t have the bolts or the Voss fitting.

I am getting message sage on the dash that the suspension is filling slowly when I try to raise to off road height. I hope that I haven’t worn out the compressor by waiting so long on the strut replacement.

Phil

Old 09-14-2019, 12:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

If your “bags” were leaking air, you could purchase the bags separately as a kit and rebuild your old struts. Also, Jack, he is the man. He has never let me down and always keeps it up, even when the pressure is on. I keep him within reach whenever suspension work is being done.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:19 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
Install went well. A second pair of hands to help attach the lower bolt was helpful. I put a jack and a block of wood under the bottom of the strut to line it up with the mounting holes. One strut had three new nuts to bolt up the top of the strut along with a new Voss fitting. The other strut didn’t have the bolts or the Voss fitting.

I am getting message sage on the dash that the suspension is filling slowly when I try to raise to off road height. I hope that I haven’t worn out the compressor by waiting so long on the strut replacement.

Phil
Could be. That happens. There are rebuild kits available for Hitachi. I have a bunch of desiccant that you can have if you want to try to replace that. Can harden and limit the airflow.