LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 05:33 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown head gasket

Long sad story for our 2005 LR3. Sunroof drains clogged and leaking into floor and replaced by dealer in November. Apparently a common issue in Land Rovers. Then onto electrical issues. The instrument cluster had to be replaced a month ago. All seemingly ok for a few weeks until lost power on the freeway. Pulled over and no gages or lights showing anything wrong. No smoke or steam like a overheat. Tow truck driver noticed there was no coolant. Towed to dealer and they said needed T-stat housing and hose. They repaired that then test drove and said head gasket blown. They said they wouldn't have known the head gasket was blown before they fixed the t stat housing etc. Only 9500 to replace head gaskets or 12k for new engine.....

Dealer states not their fault as the instrument cluster was installed properly. I think they should have check entire instrument panel system when they repaired to make sure all gages and warning lights were working so......

I would appreciate any input....

Old 06-07-2017, 07:45 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Obviously the gauges weren't in proper operation to lose all coolant and have no indicators on the dash. If it were me, I'd try my luck at smalls claims court to try and get the judge to see it your way and get a new engine or at least the repairs covered. If the tech can't prove he did a proper diagnostic on the cluster before certifying it, then I say you've got a strong case.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by EastCoast
Obviously the gauges weren't in proper operation to lose all coolant and have no indicators on the dash. If it were me, I'd try my luck at smalls claims court to try and get the judge to see it your way and get a new engine or at least the repairs covered. If the tech can't prove he did a proper diagnostic on the cluster before certifying it, then I say you've got a strong case.
Not necessarily true. The dash should certainly show if your engine is running hot. However, it will not show that you have no coolant. For some reason, the low coolant warning is disabled on the LR3s by default. A lot of us have "enabled" the warning via the IID tool though.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by cmb6s
Not necessarily true. The dash should certainly show if your engine is running hot. However, it will not show that you have no coolant. For some reason, the low coolant warning is disabled on the LR3s by default. A lot of us have "enabled" the warning via the IID tool though.
what's the process for that? Which menus? Any drawbacks to doing this and is the warning disabled on ALL LR3s? All model years?

Old 06-08-2017, 06:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
what's the process for that? Which menus? Any drawbacks to doing this and is the warning disabled on ALL LR3s? All model years?
Not sure I can answer your questions, but I can say that it was certainly disabled by default on my 2006 and I know others have stated it was disabled for them as well. As far as enabling it... I can't remember, but I think it was in the CCF. I got suspicious after my plastic coolant tee broke and I had steam pouring out from under the hood, but no coolant warning light.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:06 AM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Could the default disabled status have to do with the coolant level sensor issues that I've heard about? Apparently the sensors were a bit wonky and would throw low coolant warnings when coolant levels were fine. Seems like a rather bad way to fix that issue though.

For the OP, I had my engine replaced for far less than the $12k quoted. Another silly Land Rover issue that could have been fixed with a warning light for something critical: there's no low oil level warning and my PCV went bad and sucked it all out of the sump. I got a lightly used engine (45k miles) for about $4.5k and install was about $4k at in independent mechanic. I still can't believe the head gasket job is $9500!

If you love the truck and will keep driving it for many years, doing the work makes sense, but just don't do it at crazy dealer prices.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

How can there not be a low oil warning? What about low oil pressure? I think you are right about the genesis of this disabling of the low coolant alert. That sounds like a familiar story...and any time now Bbyer will be along to give us the details!...I hope.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:40 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by houm_wa
How can there not be a low oil warning? What about low oil pressure?
There is a low pressure warning, but that's more like "Ding dong, your engine's gone" than an actionable warning in most situations. My other car has both, so I foolishly assumed it was standard practice (or that checking the oil level religiously wasn't necessary). In my situation, the low oil pressure warning never went off.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:53 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks everyone! Do you think they should have known head gasket blown before replacing Therm. housing and hose to the tune of 2k? They knew it was out of coolant and is it not common practice to check oil consistency?

Old 06-08-2017, 01:53 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by LMDel
thanks everyone! Do you think they should have known head gasket blown before replacing Therm. housing and hose to the tune of 2k? They knew it was out of coolant and is it not common practice to check oil consistency?
Well, I probably would have, given that if the engine overheated enough for it to lose power. That's pretty bad. And the temperature gauge was in the normal range? If it was, that would make me suspect their instrument panel repairs, which would lead you to continue driving the car till it overheated and blew the head gasket. If provable (a big if), the dealership would be at fault.

I'm guessing you lost the coolant before that point since there was no steam or leaks, but there's a plastic T breather valve on top of the thermostat on a hose that is notorious for disintegrating and leaking all of your coolant out. It's a $15 part. Hopefully the dealer didn't just go replacing the thermostat as well just for fun.

One more thing, you mentioned oil consistency. I'm guessing there was coolant in the oil? Even the test drive with coolant in the oil could have been enough to do some damage to your bottom end of the engine, so I'd skip the head gasket job and go for a replacement engine. Coolant + bearings is no good.

The head gasket can fail in a number of different ways:

Last edited by djkronik57; 06-08-2017 at 02:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LMDel (06-08-2017)

Quick Reply: Blown head gasket