LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Advice from you experts (NA 2008 w/ 97K miles)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 238 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Buying Advice from you experts (NA 2008 w/ 97K miles)

I am in the US, so pardon the different references to models...
I have a long relationship with rovers (love-hate, mainly love). Refurbished two Series II's years ago, owned three Disco II's (one was an actual Lemon - that was covered by law and bought back by LR). Then a nice 2006 LR3 that was my wife's car until I really went overboard and surprised her last Christmas with a new LR4. Great vehicle!!!

I recently saw the owner of our local LR dealership grab an 05 or 06 LR3 SE (with 3rd row seats, Nav and BT - no HD pkg or "cold climate pkg") with 100K miles from a trade deal and "trick it out" for his teenage son. Its looks like new!

It gave me the idea to try the same. I am bored of my very 2WD reliable 8 year old Chevy Suburban with nearly 90K miles and looking to do a minor "project" LR3 like my dealer friend. I have found an 08 LR3 with 97K miles that has been impeccably serviced at a LR dealership over its life, priced after haggling at $16,900 USD. It is in great shape, drives tight and smooth and has had recent new brakes front and back, and new street tires and no major service issues over the years. Looks like new underneath and no rust at all. I don't think its had a new suspension compressor or other "know high milage" fault items replaced as of yet.

I want this as a daily driver for the next few years (I drive less than 10K miles per year), so it needs to get me to work every day (8 mile drive), and be ready for some 100 mile weekend camping trips most of the summer weekends. I want to do larger tires on the 18 inch rims after probably Johnson rods. Add a roof rack and winch.

So, according to your expert advice, would this be of sound mind? I don't want to spend my life savings maintaining this and have it spend its life in the shop. I want it to start and reliably get me from A to B, but realize there'll be some items that I'll have to deal with fixing in the next 10-50K miles...

Old 03-12-2014, 03:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Lots of things to look at in that mileage range. Bushings, differentials, steering/suspension components. EAS Compressor, too. I'd go with an IIDTool over the Johnson Rods for your lift.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:52 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2007 with 95K and exact same maintenance records by well know California dealership. Compared to other carfax reports it seems they did all the high mileage stuff recently. My vehicle had a 100k warranty so I am sure that is why they traded it in. Within one week of ownership I had the infamous fault codes going wacky on dash. With a (Free) charging system check at Autozone I found that it had a weak alternator, battery and starter. I switched out all the parts and she is doing wonderfully now. I did extensive research on the LR3 and knew what exactly to look for in a used purchase. Oh and I also cleaned all the semi corroded negative contacts from the battery as the forums suggest.
Good luck with your purchase.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Winching
Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by skrshul
With a (Free) charging system check at Autozone I found that it had a weak alternator, battery and starter.
I'm happy that your LR3 is running well. But a bad alternator, battery AND starter??? Highly unlikely, but typical of "free" diagnostics.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:09 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LR Techniker...That's what I thought as well. The starter draw was only at 75A when the key was on and seems a little weak per my research. I know the (Free) diagnosis isn't ideal but when stranded on late sunday and kids needing to get to school on Monday it was all I had. After swapping out parts the entire system seemed to come alive. The alternator definitely died thus killing my battery. I have been a long time fan of Rovers and first time owner. It is getting old hearing family and friends provide negative comments about my purchase, but as I told my wife: Jealousy shows in many ways. Not sure how people justify their ignorance towards the most technologically advanced 4X4 in the world, but hey...what I tell them is...keep driving that vinivan and let me know how it works out for you.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:18 AM
Winching
Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by skrshul
It is getting old hearing family and friends provide negative comments about my purchase,
I got a bunch of the same when I traded my Yukon Denali XL for my 08 L322. I got heat from co-workers, peers and other people I know in the auto field. I just take it with a grain of sand because it has proven, by far, to be the best vehicle I ever owned and would not hesitate to recommend or purchase another.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When my wife told her brother that we were looking for a Land Rover he told her don't do it. They are nothing but problems. Blah blah blah.
He owns a repair shop and refuses to work on them.

I think it is more he doesn't know how to work on them. Maybe a bit of jealousy too.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LR3 really set Land Rover back on an average reliability path. Not super fantastic, but MUCH better than years past.

When I was buying mine a buddy said to skip it and go get a domestic SUV - they know this game inside and out. I ended up with the LR3, he ended up with a Tahoe.

After 3 years, nothing major wrong - normal maintenance. His... towed to the dealer after 3 weeks - that shut him up pretty well

Old 03-17-2014, 02:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts
Default Yeah..

...and how about he brings that Tahoe out to Liberty or Manastash this summer?!?!

Old 03-17-2014, 06:30 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought an '08 with 65,000 - so far no issues When I asked on this forum, it was recommended to change diff fluids and the automatic transmission fluid quite a bit early to head off problems before they started, fwiw. But, as you stated that you've been into LR for a while, you can probably give me a lot more advice than I can give you.

I checked my battery this weekend and noticed that the negative terminal was a bit corroded. Didn't clean it at the time - but I'll do so this week.

Quick Reply: Buying Advice from you experts (NA 2008 w/ 97K miles)