Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR3 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/)
-   -   Buying an LR3 - HSE/SE HD package with rear locking dif a must? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/buying-lr3-hse-se-hd-package-rear-locking-dif-must-85345/)

jwalk1995 07-30-2017 12:07 PM

Buying an LR3 - HSE/SE HD package with rear locking dif a must?

First, thx to all the contributors for great advice on this Forum, it's been helpful!

Need some advice

I've been hunting for a lower mileage LR3 for the past month or so and have come across several well cared for SE's without rear dif lock. I plan on using it for offroading, family trips and towing. I'm new to the whole off-roading world but look forward to learning and building good mems with my boys and family.

-How essential is the rear dif lock?

ArmyRover 07-30-2017 10:55 PM

It depends on how far or hard you plan to go. The locker makes a huge difference. The LR3 is extremely capable without it but is a beast with it.

If I was planning to wheel the truck then it would be on my want list.

jwalk1995 07-31-2017 11:21 AM

thx Army Rover

This will be my 3rd Rover, and I'm trying to learn from past purchasing mistakes.

I also want to maximize my return, if that's possible when I sell in the future.

abran 07-31-2017 02:15 PM

if you are even considering the need for a locker, get one. You might not ever need it, but you will have the dreaded WIBHD syndrome(Wish I Bought a Heavy Duty).

jwalk1995 07-31-2017 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by abran (Post 614575)
if you are even considering the need for a locker, get one. You might not ever need it, but you will have the dreaded WIBHD syndrome(Wish I Bought a Heavy Duty).

WIBHD is exactly what I don't want.

thx Abran

jwalk1995 08-06-2017 08:43 PM

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and help. I finally pulled the trigger on a 07' SE with HD package. It has high miles 117k but was a 1 owner car. Purchased at Colorado Roaring Fork Land Rover and drove it back to Austin with no prob. What a fun car to drive and they are tanks! Looks better in the photo and needs a little work but look forward to enjoying it for a little while.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...44462cd051.jpg

ArmyRover 08-06-2017 09:09 PM

Congrats on the find!

I just bought another LR3 over the weekend but not a HD.

Great trucks though, nothing better than a long road trip home for getting to know you time. I picked mine up in NY and drove it home to GA

COSPILOT 08-07-2017 09:18 AM

Congrats!

Hope you took the time to visit the Hot Springs!

jwalk1995 08-11-2017 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by ArmyRover (Post 615248)
Congrats on the find!

I just bought another LR3 over the weekend but not a HD.

Great trucks though, nothing better than a long road trip home for getting to know you time. I picked mine up in NY and drove it home to GA

thanks!

How many Lr3's have you had? This is my first LR3. I've had a 90 Range and 04' D2 but no experience with Lr3. I'm hoping it's not as high maintenance as my previous 2. It seems like the most important thing is to be consistent on preventative maintenance?

ArmyRover 08-11-2017 11:50 AM

I have had 2 91 Range Rovers, and a 00 D2. Still have a 83 110 5 door, 07 LR3 and now the 06 LR3.

Got my first LR3 4 months or so ago. Been off roading in them for about 3 years with my friends and love them. Reliability has been extremely good even with the abuse we have dished out to my friends truck. So far aside from a corrosion issue on my new to me 06 that I brought to the forefront by being ever so smart and washing the engine bay it has been fantastic. Did another 400 mile road trip in it yesterday.

Also I have been the Mod/Admin on here for 4-5 years and a member for almost a decade. The LR3's have had far less critical issues from what I have seen than previous generations of Discovery.

All in all they are still very much Land Rovers but a lot more reliable. Stay on your maintenance and they will treat you well.