Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR3 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/)
-   -   Can the LR3 tow a camper? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/can-lr3-tow-camper-62559/)

TRIARII 10-17-2013 10:02 PM

Can the LR3 tow a camper?

Can a standard model (SE) LR3 haul a 38 foot long camper?
38 foot camper layton model

I'm saving up for a older camper between 32-38 feet long and Im leaning towards a tow behind camper. Originally I wanted to get a Pace Arrow but the front cabin takes up to much room whereas a tow behind camper has the maximum space for living comfortably. I know my D2 cannot do the job and I'm gonna be looking for a second rig soon so ill take some advise.

primussucks 10-17-2013 10:16 PM

seems like the wrong forum/category.

TRIARII 10-17-2013 10:47 PM

I posted it here casue several D2 owners have a LR3. Not as much activity in the LR3 section.

primussucks 10-17-2013 11:16 PM

almost anything can tow something... i think the bigger issue is, can it stop?
keep in mind, the lr3 already weighs about half the size of an elephant... strap a 35' trailer on to that, you might want to travel with extra brake pads and rotors

gbob 10-18-2013 04:40 AM

Not too mention sway on the camper when you tow something that is nearly the weight of your vehicle.

I do the opposite....get the pace arrow. I currently have a 2010 Damon Daybreak, 36' Class A motorhome and I tow my '03 disco behind the motorhome. I also have an auxiliary brake system on the disco when I tow. Not sure if you have young kids (I've got a 4 and 8 year old) and they dig having some flexibility to sit on the couch or the dinette to play cars, color or whatever while on the road. Not to mention potty breaks and eating while on the road. My rig has bunk beds. So, kids get stoked about sleeping in their bunks, not to mention they have their own "space" in tight quarters.

Yea, you maybe lose about 6 feet up front on a gas rig, but your captain chairs spin around and can face the living area. Just my 2 cents worth.

jafir 10-18-2013 05:06 AM

Looks like current 38' travel trailers from that company weight about 7600 lbs. the rated towing capacity of the LR3 with the factory hitch is 7700 lbs.

Of course that is for an empty trailer. You'd want a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup to tow a trailer that big, especially if you have any of your stuff in it.

ArmyRover 10-18-2013 08:36 AM

Not safely it can't.

Get a bigger truck or a smaller trailer

ZGPhoto 10-18-2013 09:02 AM

LR3 will certainly do better than a D2 because of the engine upgrades and longer wheelbase, but I would never recommend trailering that big of a camper with anything less than a long wheel base F-250 or something of the like.

TRIARII 10-18-2013 05:13 PM

dam... really wish LR came up with a vehicle that can haul big loads. Im not big on pickup trucks at all and debating getting a LR3 as my second vehicle. No kids thank god. Just looking for a large camper to park year round and live in it. Not like I'd be hauling all over the place.

Thanks for the input here guys.

jafir 10-18-2013 05:54 PM

I'd tow it to a semi permanent place with one. Especially if empty. If you aren't towing it regularly I wouldn't worry about it. Heck I'd be tempted to use your d2, once you get the brakes all sorted out.