LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 05:19 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty

Does anyone know the going rates for extended warranties on used LR3s right now?

For a 2006 LR3 with 43,000 miles, I was just quoted the following rate for comprehensive wrap-around coverage warranty, including engine, drivetrain, and all electrical:

24mo for $2903
36mo for $3300

Does this seem to be in the ballpark for the going rate? Is there a sticky or thread on this someone could direct me to?

Thanks!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Wow, did not know it would be that high. Barring loss of an engine or transmission, you could do a lot of repairs for $3300, certainly if you enjoy DIY. Head gaskets seem to be about $1500 at an indy shop. If you take reasonable care, head gaskets should not be a problem. At 30K miles a year, in 3 years you would be at 133K, certainly water pump time (1 hour and $50 part), plus at least one battery.

On the other hand, for $91 a month you can spend your time wheelin' instead of hunting parts and wenching... err make that wrenching.

As far as deals on warranty - you'll have to shop.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:31 PM
3rd Gear
Default misterbryant's 2003 Range Rover HSE/108544k

Hey Rover Family,

I am new here and hope that I post this correct, but I NEED to get an extended warranty for my Rover. I really like it, dont want to sell it, but I know it can cost to maintain out of pocket. Most companies wont offer anything to me b/c it has passed the 100k, any suggestion and or recommendations will be great. Thank you.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The best value for your money is the Ford ESP warranty through Ziegler Ford. I purchased a 4 yr/48k mile warranty for about $2700 and it covers everything, including electronics and all air suspension components. Here's the link.

Ford ESP: Ford Extended Service Plans at highly discounted prices. Lowest Price Guarantee!

Old 01-19-2012, 10:32 PM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

extended warranties are a fricking rip off on this car (and any car, really)

Old 01-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Drifting

2008 LR3 with 49,300 miles and our local LR dealership shut down over a year ago (McAllen, Texas) so I'm contemplating trading my LR3 in.

My wife and I love this car, very stylish and functional but having to drive 4 hours for service to San Antonio Tx is a pain in the ****.

I've done some DIY in the past on our cars (water pump, intake boot, rear brake light repair, window regulators, on E46) but I'm not sure what to expect with the LR3.

Not sure what to do........

Old 01-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

My question is why are all of you taking the truck to the dealer for oil changes and the like?
Change it yourself or take it to the quick lube and be done, the dealer is not doing anything you cant do when it comes to oil changes.

And as for the price of a extended warranty, just open a Money Market Account and put $50 a week into it.
Then if a major repair comes up you will have the money to pay for it, and if you dont ever use it then you are that much closer to retirement.

Head gaskets do not appear to be a problem on the LR3, but the air suspension can be, but if you shop around you can find cheap fixes for it, you just need to do your research and stop taking it to the damn dealer for each and every little thing.

And if you are proactive and search for the common problems before they become problems you will know what to do before it happens.
Google is a wonderful thing.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:55 PM
5th Gear

I will second the Ford ESP. Bought my LR3 back in January (31,300 miles just under 4 years old) and still had some life on the original warranty. Once the original warranty finished up I purchased the Ford ESP Premium level plan. Took the truck in for an oil change, tire rotation, and state safety inspection late December and the dealership found some issues with the ball joints and tire rods. They quoted me close to $1200 for the work (ball joints, rod replacement, and wheel alignment) which seemed high but not crazy. After I told them I had the extended warranty they called Ford and everything was covered. Paid my $50 deductible and the $80 for the oil change and tire rotation. The service rep at the dealership even made the comment that the Ford ESP plan is a great plan and they never have issues getting approvals for needed work.

Bought my plan through Zeigler Ford as many that have posted here also did. They had the best price around and were pretty easy to work with although not the most responsive at first when I had questions he was quick after I decided to get the plan. Also checked with a local Ford dealership and they actually had a pretty close price (within a few hundred dollars) but Zeigler had the best price. After this experience the warranty has half paid for itself.

Do some searches on the forum and you will find some past threads discussing extended warranties. Some have had luck with other plans and the LR plan is supposedly the best but you will pay alot more to get their coverage.