LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Farewell Hitachi compressor or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 06:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Farewell Hitachi compressor or not ?

Yesterday after driving from work , I took a quick shower and jumped out of the house and into my beloved LR3 with intentions to drive for a previously scheduled appointment with my barber. To my surprise a few feet after pulling out I heard a weird noise from underneath and silence. Suspension fault appeared and I was expecting immediate drop to a bump stops and speed restricted. None of it happened , so I continued with journey to a nearby Staten Island carefully watching car's behavior .
Over the years of ownership, I got to know an LR3 well , so Fault like this did not really scared me to death as oppose to , when I purchased her in early 2008. My immediate thought was a exhaust valve stuck close as there was no sound from compressor nor famous self leveling farts that evening,. Every time I'd start an LR3 , there was that click in the compressor area and no pumping or loosing air from any corner or exhaust valve.
This morning , I did not go to work ,due to the fact that my comp. craped out and 3 IS my daily driver .Had a hefty breakfast and proceeded with first a RS Sliders disassembly and shortly after ,a compressor take down. It took me a lot more than expected, this tie around, as air lines were seized solid, to the point , that I almost called it a night , but figured a good beer would not hurt and to my surprise , shortly after and lot of WD 40 I had my 10 year old air compressor on the work bench / living room table.
I probably broke some kind of record with this particular unit as it is truly over 10 years and 163 000 miles old. It has been a good sport all that time and rebuilding it twice probably helped a bunch. As a matter a fact , just next weekend I was about to renew it again , since the outside temp. got in to upper 60's lately and I felt it would be a good time to maintain it again , after another 50 000 trouble free miles.Few months a go I purchased the last Hitach drier , overhaul kit and new sleeve for a con rod. Speaking of connecting rod....
After quick poking around , I discovered , that famous CON ROD broke in half , seizing inside, therefore prohibiting any air related operations. My question is as follows :

Can somebody have a broken Hitachi compressor and willing to sell and ship a Con Rod to me ?

I don't think anybody is manufacturing this particular part and I am afraid I will be left out in the cold, this time around.
I really don't want to buy an AMK as I would have to modify my RS sliders.
What are your thoughts ?

Old 04-14-2015, 08:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Why not do the Arnott version, They also have an AMK, someone was going to get one and see if it will fit with sliders, but no update yet. They do have a small version that will fit. Or do us all a favor, order both, and ask them if you can return the one you don't use...

See the Dunlop Here, as well as the AMK

https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...d4_pid175.html

Old 04-14-2015, 09:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

I don't see any point in ordering the AMK. I would propose just trying the Dunlop. There is a good chance you can install without any mods to your RS Sliders and at worst you'll have to do some cutting but no different than if you'd bought the AMK.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

You can get new hitachi compressors again. But I'd probably try to find a used one to rebuild/repair.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:33 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

AB has them on sale in there flyer

Old 04-15-2015, 11:25 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
AB has them on sale in there flyer

For $750. I sell the new AMK kits for $800.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Also, you do not have to modify your RS sliders to adapt the new AMK, simply get the relocation bracket that Tactical 4x4 sells for $80 and you're all set.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:39 AM
Camel Trophy

It's been reported that even with the Tactical re-lo bracket, the AMK still may not fit with the RS Sliders. No one has reported a success with that approach.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:45 AM
Camel Trophy

So...thorgal, back to your situation and building off what unseenone suggested: I'd buy the Dunlop and the Hitachi. If the Dunlop fits with your sliders, great...you have the latest 'n greatest compressor. If not, return it and you KNOW the Hitachi will fit.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:58 AM
Former Sponsor

The AMK fits, you just to not use the black case which isn't an issue since the slider is there to protect it

Quick Reply: Farewell Hitachi compressor or not ?