LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Post: Air Compressor/Dryer DIY Fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 05:42 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very very good!!

very very good

Last edited by ArmyRover; 11-24-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:41 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

:-)

been a a month and no issues with the rebuild and new cap.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:11 AM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

FYI - last weekend, I had the opportunity to work on my compressor issues (I was getting the slow raise error almost every time I drove the vehicle). Based on your writeup and experience, I decided to start with the cap. Soapy water showed the leak in the usual hairline crack spot, so I got to work trying to get the cap off without removing the compressor from the vehicle. I managed to scrape a few knuckles before figuring out that I needed better tools. Once I got a 3/8" drive with a long shaft, I was able to remove most of the end cap torx screws without a problem. A set of 90 degree angled torx tools (that look sort of like Allen wrenches, but with torx ends) did the trick for the ones that I couldn't get to as well with the long drive. From there, it was quick work to swap out the original cap with a new metal one, and so far, problem solved! So, thanks for the inspiration and the info.

-Captain Sygo

'05 LR3 SE

The following users liked this post:
Jona Mora (01-04-2020)
Old 11-30-2017, 10:53 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Is that the Hitachi compressor of AMK? Sorry if that's been asked/answered already.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:14 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

@Captain Sygo - thats great!! How long did it take you to replace the cap? I would imagine the cracked dryer cap represents a decent number of the compressor failures. Being able to replace the cap without removing the compressor makes this a simple DIY fix.

@houm_wa - my writeup was for the OEM Hitachi compressor. I dont have any experience with the AMK. My indy mentioned the AMK from Land Rover was a lot better - but warned NOT to buy the AMK from Arnott.

houm_wa (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 01:10 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Surprised the Indy shop warned about Arnott's AMK compressor. It is the same basic unit now used by Land Rover but comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Arnott's AMK Air Suspension Compressor for the Range Rover Sport and the Land Rover Discovery 3 and 4, Arnott part P-2645, is designed to replace the problematic Hitachi OE compressor. This AMK air supply unit includes a bracket so it can easily replace the OE pump and bracket. This new compressor includes a release solenoid and an integrated dryer and filter. The compressor comes pre-wired with new air hoses and fittings for plug and play operation. This AMK compressor comes with vibration isolators, mounting hardware and a new compressor relay. If replacing the OE Hitachi compressor a dealer provided software update is required. You will also want to replace the Relay.

Here is a link for the installation video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pllj...ature=youtu.be

For More Information on Arnott's AMK Compressor: https://www.arnottindustries.com/pro...ge-rover-sport

Last edited by arnottdoug; 11-30-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Jona Mora (01-04-2020)
Old 12-01-2017, 04:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Doug, did you just copy/paste that?

...how about engaging in a real conversation and trying to figure out if there have been in-service issues with the product (despite the wonderful write up) so that you might address them....?

Old 12-01-2017, 08:55 PM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=thebruce;627643]@Captain Sygo - thats great!! How long did it take you to replace the cap? I would imagine the cracked dryer cap represents a decent number of the compressor failures. Being able to replace the cap without removing the compressor makes this a simple DIY fix.

I spent an hour and a half fussing with it and trying to make do with the short torx drive I had. Once I had the proper tools, the job went much more smoothly. I'd guess that the whole thing would have taken 30 minutes start to finish the first time, had I begun with the right equipment.
-Captain Sygo

Old 12-04-2017, 12:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Someone should sticky this.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:21 PM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Sygo
I spent an hour and a half fussing with it and trying to make do with the short torx drive I had. Once I had the proper tools, the job went much more smoothly. I'd guess that the whole thing would have taken 30 minutes start to finish the first time, had I begun with the right equipment.
-Captain Sygo
Mind letting us know which set of Torx screwdrivers? Maybe like these?

Torx® Offset Screwdriver Set with Molded Handle, 5 Piece

Quick Reply: First Post: Air Compressor/Dryer DIY Fix