Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR3 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/)
-   -   Gasoline (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/gasoline-38420/)

n1keaddict 02-17-2011 06:48 PM

Gasoline

Question to all LR3 owners out there....

Has anyone ever consistently used non-premium gas on their LR3?

If so have you had any issues: faults, errors, engine lights, etc?

Obviously it says 'premium recommended' but thinking about it I feel regular unleaded will be sufficient enough.

Let me know what you all think or had any experiences on this subject

GWDRoverTX 02-17-2011 09:37 PM

I don't have long term experience with an LR3 since I bought my 2007 SE in Sept 2010. It had 42k miles when I purchased it and I don't know what the previous owner used. But I have put 10k miles on it, all using regular gas and I have had no problems. The engine computer recalibrates for whatever octane level gas is used. The only reason LR "recommends" premium gas is because they use it to certify the vehicle with slightly better gas mileage and horsepower. The extra money you pay for premium does not offset the slightly better mileage and horsepower you might get.

Disco Mike 02-18-2011 01:09 PM

There is a fool in every group. WHY???? do you use regular gas when told to use premium, you think Rover is getting a lick back from the gas companies.
You will easily loose 1.5 MPG lots of low end torque and will build up carbon deposits on your valves and valve stems, let see, what does a valve job cost on a LR3, $3000 plus, now where is you gas savings?
So buy the good gas and get more mileage and power.

CaptRazorback 02-18-2011 05:57 PM

Mike, always there to put a fool in his place. I buy premium always, if you can't afford an extra dime a gallon you shouldn't own her...she needs special attention. Mike would know.

GWDRoverTX 02-19-2011 08:14 PM

So why does LR "recommend" premium fuel and not "require" it? I would think they would require you to use it and stipulate that the warranty will be voided the if you don't.
Since I am a fool, please educate me on what makes the LR3 V8 engine more prone to developing carbon deposits on the valves than another V8 engine.

cbloomers 02-21-2011 09:37 AM

I have tried both fuels in my 06 lr3. We all want to save money where possible, these aren't cheap cars to run, but my findings are that the company recommends Premium but does run on a lower octane. It does mention in the book that premium is preferred but the octane must be above 86 or 87 I think. The out come of my experement was that while the car drives fine on the lower octane the fuel consumtion did go up and the performance went down. When I went to premuin the fuel consumption went down and performance went up. After working out the cost of fuel and the and the increase of fuel on the lower octane the out come to me was that the extra cost in premium fuel which was about 10% and the higher MPG on Premium turned out to be cheaper than running on a lower octane fuel which was cheaper per gallon, but had less MPG. Hope this helps sorry if I have confused you.
Colin

Spencerfitch 02-21-2011 09:22 PM

Don't take one mans opinion personally. You can't possibly believe you will lose 1.5mpg yet air intake will GAIn you max of 1/4mpg? I already disproved both.

Now does lr3 have egr?

BD_LR4 02-24-2011 01:11 AM

Thought I would throw in my 2 cents on this topic. Regardless of gas mileage decreases by not using premium, just perform a quick calculation on the price difference. Assume 15,000 miles per year, with an overall average of 14 MPG. That would require the purchase of just over 1,071 gallons of gas in a year. The difference between premium and plus is $0.10 per gallon. Total additional outlay by using premium fuel amounts to a whopping $107 in a year. Even if you didn't buy your vehicle new (you're still talking about $30K+ for a used LR3) is the extra $107 you are saving really going to amount to much of anything? Tires and Brakes will quickly make that $107 seem like chump change. Even if you saved $0.20 by using regular, you are talking just over $200 in annual savings.

You could save more by calling you cable company and reducing you plan or cutting back the Starbucks to 1 day per week instead if 5.

:)

Hope that helps!

JCJarhead 02-24-2011 06:01 AM

Do the math

That's some mighty fine figuring for 2:00 am! Very Nice!:)

safarisam 02-28-2011 08:04 AM

I run 89 in the winter and 91 in the summer. About 1.1 MPG difference, power seems smoother on 91 but to be honest i don't really notice that much of a difference. Personally beleive that no car should run 87, but thats just me. Have filled the tank with 87 a few times, why, i dunno, but noticed a tick in the motor through the duration of the tanks. No more 87 for me