LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding Noise (weak) - Differential?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding Noise (weak) - Differential?

I have been hearing a weak grinding noise coming from the front of my 2006 LR3.
The rear differential was replaced at 58K mi. The sound then was much noisier. Now the truck has 85K mi.
I checked the front defferential, transmission and transfer case. All had their oil levels OK.

Any suggestion? Can 'almost new' differentials go bad even with oil on them?

Old 01-18-2011, 05:19 PM
5th Gear

Any resolution to this? My 2007 LR3 is making a grinding noise in the engine area once I push up to 70 mph on the highway...LR Princeton cannot find a problem but, I may have to take it back and leave it over an extended period with them to check it out more thoroughly...

Old 01-21-2011, 03:58 AM
3rd Gear
Default differential noise

I have 83000km on my 2006 LR3 which I bought new in Feb, 4 years ago. My warranty just expired. I took my LR3 to the dealer after several warning lights came on and it went into a sort of limp mode; I could shift it triptronically but set to D and it would just stay in 1st or 2nd. So to the shop it went. That was back in December. Well I am sorry to report that it is still there almost 2 months later. So far they have replaced the rear differential and soon they will replacing the front differential, (when the parts come in). I should add that there was a low humming sound all along. Almost like tire noise but actually more pleasant. So the new rear diff fixed the warning lights and limp mode but it didn't solve the noise. The techs at the Calgary dealership used some sonic type instrument to determine that the noise was caused by the front diff, which is why that will soon be changed. I think that will be it for repairs. I hope. I have read a few other threads and it seems like this problem isn't quite as unique as my Calgary guys are letting on. I have contacted LR and they are helping out with the cost somewhat. Basically they are paying for parts which is great but I will still be on the hook for an estimated $5k so I am not very satisfied. I believe the service interval for these differentials is 100000 km! So if we aren't even supposed to check the oil in these things for 100000km, why then doesn't warranty cover them for at least that long? I have expressed these thoughts to several LR dealership service departments but LR North America has dug in at paying for the parts and no more. I guess I should be thankful.

I had dreamed of owning a Disco for many many years before I finally bought my LR3 and I was in love with it! I was happy to pay that premium dollar knowing I could have the peace of mind of owning a strong and dependable 4X4. Sadly knowing what I know now, I am not sure I will ever buy another LR. All I can say is how can 'The greatest off-road truck on earth' have such weak differentials?!!!!!! It is all very disapointing.

My advice to anyone who owns one of these LR3s or is going to buy one is to INSIST that the differentials get serviced or at least inspected BEFORE your warranty is over! I would also advise insisting that the front and rear diffs get oil changes every 50000km. I think that this could have saved me from this let down.

Going foward, if I keep my LR3 long enough, I know I will be changing those oils regularly. Also, I will probably buy an expensive but seemingly compulsary extented warranty asap!

Land Rover, why did you have to let me down!

Old 01-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Overlanding

On the 2006 models Land Rover painted the diffs and over time the paint comes off and gets into the lubricants, My 06 LR3 was at the dealership when the tech was driving it and noticed it one day before my warranty ran out, so I had both of mine replaced, but the noise you are hearing are your diffs going out. I am not sure about on a 07, but I know on a 06 its because they painted the diffs, not sure why though.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:04 AM
4th Gear
Default Grinding noise in front end.

I have had a grinding noise in the front end of my 06 LR3 and was the right front wheel bearing. The wheel play was causing the brake rotor to rub against the backing plate. You can jack the car up and check for play in the bearing. It should be tight. I replaced the bearing in about a half hour and cost was about $233. I also have a humming in the front end which i think is my front differential but will drive it till it totally fails.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Drifting

2008 LR3, 30,000. Started hearing the rubbing noise at 25K miles.

Just took it in, they said it was the differential. LR San Antonio replaced it under warranty.