Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR3 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/)
-   -   I can't register my 2006 LR3 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/i-cant-register-my-2006-lr3-109350/)

ilovetobanghard 11-24-2021 01:40 PM

I can't register my 2006 LR3

I recently bought a 2006 LR3 but what I thought would be an easy registration process turned out the opposite. It turns out the VIN on my windshield does not match the VIN on the door. To add to the confusion, the VIN on the title matches the door and VIN lookups pull up the same details of my Land Rover when I look up the one on the door but not the windshield. I can't drive 1,000 miles to Minnesota to amend the title, (seller moved this year), so I'm afraid I can't drive this Rover even if I have an officer come out to verify.

hogweed 11-24-2021 04:24 PM

when you say the windshield I'm guessing you mean the VIN on the dash that is visible through the glass? it's hard to fathom that one isn't the one that reconciles to the title but the one on the B pillar does.....that totally sucks. what did the PO say about it?
keep us posted and good luck

The_OGCJR 11-25-2021 07:25 AM

Sounds like that dash was replaced…but I think the vin plate is riveted to a piece of steel and not the dash.

Either way, it’s extremely sus. And I’m assuming the truck was badly wrecked at one time and not reported to insurance or repaired at a legit body shop

DakotaTravler 11-25-2021 09:03 AM

Another source to check is the frame. Look below the passenger door area of the frame on the vertical surface. Its not hidden but its often under a clear sticker that fogs up. That will likely be the true VIN for that truck.

hogweed 11-25-2021 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by COSitsWORTHit (Post 801734)
Sounds like that dash was replaced…but I think the vin plate is riveted to a piece of steel and not the dash.

Either way, it’s extremely sus. And I’m assuming the truck was badly wrecked at one time and not reported to insurance or repaired at a legit body shop

exactly....it's usually part of the bulkhead

Land_Rover 11-27-2021 12:51 AM

Stolen car or some kinda scam? Might want to plug in a OBDII reader and get the true VIN directly off the ECU, you might be surprised. Switching VIN plates/stickers is easy these days.

Alex J 11-27-2021 12:17 PM

Sorry you are having a hard time with your truck. I would also look at the frame and see what that VIN is like someone else suggested. I was just thinking the other day that it's really dumb that one of the official VIN stickers is on the drivers door and not the B-pillar that is part of the body. Any sort of major damage to that door and its getting replaced and then there goes your VIN plate, not smart. Hope you get it sorted out, these trucks are great to drive.

will@europartsandoverland.com 11-27-2021 02:25 PM

I hope you get it sorted, checking the vin in multiple places has become a common practice for me anymore that I don’t even think about it any more. Good luck I hope it works out in your favor. The LR3 is an awesome platform

greenharoguy 03-26-2022 01:25 PM

What ever happened with this? Did you find the true vin? Where you able to register?

Land_Rover 03-26-2022 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by greenharoguy (Post 819417)
What ever happened with this? Did you find the true vin? Where you able to register?

OP has only one post made 6 months ago and no followup. I'm pretty sure they moved on.