LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner tie rods after off road

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 04:09 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Inner tie rods after off road

Hello all
i wanted to get some feed back on rocky off roading-
i took my 06 LR3 (145k) off roading and got into a real rocky trail not rock crawling by any means, but def needed 4 low in crawl setting. Truck worked great but after completion, the truck dropped to bump stops (this is on pavement). limped to a mechanic, they are repairing the suspension, but they stated the inner tie rods are bad.
The previous owner replaced them in 2016 at 125k. Would some serious rock action ruin them that quick? There were no other steering issues prior. No noises at all.
All in all, the LR did amazing and I was lucky the suspension did not fail on the trail.
any thoughts? I just want to gauge what I should avoid in the future.
James

Old 08-16-2018, 06:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 711 Likes on 599 Posts

They should not have failed by now, even under those conditions. What brand were they replaced with, OEM originals?

Old 08-17-2018, 07:07 AM
Mudding

that I do not know- there is a significant difference in OEM vs other aftermarket?

Old 08-17-2018, 08:18 AM
Camel Trophy

Yes. There is OEM which generally means it’s an LR stamped part. Authentic if you will. Then there is often the ability to save some cash and purchase the same item from the original maker without the LR branding. But after that, it can be a gamble. I could not find Lemforder front sway bar links so I bought AC Delco. One failed from the start and the other less than a month or two later. And on that one, the boots looked 10 years old. So now both the originals are back on until I can get another set. URO is a brand to avoid all together. Anyway, if there were a cheap set tossed in just to sell the vehicle then they could have failed by now.

The following users liked this post:
jbullock78 (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 08:39 AM
Mudding

Thanks for the info! I will be sure to stick with OEM stuff- rather pay a bit up front to avoid failures in East Podunk USA...:-)

Old 08-17-2018, 09:05 AM
Camel Trophy

And I am not saying all aftermart parts are bad. But when it comes to suspension, I prefer the best proven available which is almost always OEM or some specialty made stuff.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:03 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Yes. There is OEM which generally means it’s an LR stamped part. Authentic if you will. Then there is often the ability to save some cash and purchase the same item from the original maker without the LR branding. But after that, it can be a gamble. I could not find Lemforder front sway bar links so I bought AC Delco. One failed from the start and the other less than a month or two later. And on that one, the boots looked 10 years old. So now both the originals are back on until I can get another set. URO is a brand to avoid all together. Anyway, if there were a cheap set tossed in just to sell the vehicle then they could have failed by now.
We can get an OEM set from Britpart without the LR Stamp Id have to hot order them in... They also have Meyle Brand both are $28 each link plus shipping for forum members currently.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:08 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jbullock78
Hello all
i wanted to get some feed back on rocky off roading-
i took my 06 LR3 (145k) off roading and got into a real rocky trail not rock crawling by any means, but def needed 4 low in crawl setting. Truck worked great but after completion, the truck dropped to bump stops (this is on pavement). limped to a mechanic, they are repairing the suspension, but they stated the inner tie rods are bad.
The previous owner replaced them in 2016 at 125k. Would some serious rock action ruin them that quick? There were no other steering issues prior. No noises at all.
All in all, the LR did amazing and I was lucky the suspension did not fail on the trail.
any thoughts? I just want to gauge what I should avoid in the future.
James
If you haven't already purchased these before, We have our custom Bump Stop Spacer Kits that will get you out of a jam should for some reason your Air Suspension completely fails on the LR3... So instead of not being able to move at all when failed and sitting on the bump stops, when this kit is fitted you will be able to still rotate the wheels so your not dead in the water... Our limiting straps will help with the axles from over flexing as well.

https://www.lucky8llc.com/collection...-extension-kit

Old 08-17-2018, 04:07 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Steve@LK8parts
We can get an OEM set from Britpart without the LR Stamp Id have to hot order them in... They also have Meyle Brand both are $28 each link plus shipping for forum members currently.
I will never touch a Britpart item - ever. Too many bad things written about that company. I dont care what is in the box...

Old 08-18-2018, 08:23 AM
Mudding

Most certainly looking at the bump stop kit...

Quick Reply: Inner tie rods after off road