LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up my first Land Rover!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 04:50 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just picked up my first Land Rover!

Hi all,

After a decade of driving Audi's, I've finally crossed over to the LR side. I was looking for something more practical since I get out on the backroads quite a bit, and this LR3 HSE has fit the bill

I am beyond excited to be able to stick a wrench into the engine bay AND have room left for my hand to hold the wrench

It's not a unicorn LR3 by any means, but I love it already. It has 116k on it and it does need some TLC to get it to great shape, but here's a pic and list of items I plan on addressing for now:

- previous owner put on an LR4 grille(?). I do have the original I may put it back on.

- transmission service kit (maybe. I noticed some leaking at the rear base of the pan. Looked at the valve sleeve but that's completely dry. The drain bolt looked the most wet so I retightened it slightly and will re-check

- Front pass. side air fitting (where the air line connects to the top of suspension intermittently leaks for split of a second when raising to highest mode and rocking it side to side)

- Front lower control arms ordered
- Full brake replacement ordered

- Interior rattle chasing!! The main culprit is on the sunroof and I can make it go away just by putting my finger above the rail while driving. Hopefully an easy fix. Also, sunroof wouldn't close for the previous owner - I'll try the 'holding button' trick mentioned in a thread I saw on here.

- Winter/all weather mats
- Rear seat pull handle ordered
- Rear cargo cover ordered
- Roof paint/sunspots Noticed this after purchase. Not terrible, but may need a re-spray.

- Rear wheel carrier - the lady wants it to be the first thing we do to the LR3!
- Rooftop carrier and bumper guard eventually

Anyway, let the fun begin, I'm excited to learn all the LR nomenclature, maintenance and am glad to join in the fun!

Last edited by skyrover; 08-24-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

congrats

Old 08-22-2016, 09:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to the Rover family.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats and enjoy!Sounds like you are being proactive on maintenace.I would add changing front and rear diff fluid too.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:25 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Scope
Congrats and enjoy!Sounds like you are being proactive on maintenace.I would add changing front and rear diff fluid too.
Thanks all! And yes, that's definitely on the list. Unfortunately the big ticket item right now is doing the transmission service - ouch. I could get an iiDTool for that cost and then some!

Old 08-24-2016, 01:20 PM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by skyrover
Thanks all! And yes, that's definitely on the list. Unfortunately the big ticket item right now is doing the transmission service - ouch. I could get an iiDTool for that cost and then some!
Guessing you are referring to a full fluid and pan swap? You may want to just do a power flush instead, far less labor intensive and usually it's just the fluid that is bad and needs replacing -- most people don't have gunked up filters.

I'm planning on doing a fluid flush now (95k) and then doing the full pan swap at 150k. You can get Mercon SP fluid for about $5 a quart if you look around, which is much better than the $20+ for ZF Lifeguard 6 or OEM and equivalent.

The following users liked this post:
jafir (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 01:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

If you decide to flush your tranny fluid yourself, I did a little writeup here. No pictures though... just a description of what I did.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Not the worst LR4 grill swap I have seen, its OK!

Congratulations, that is a good color. Filters and fluids, filters and fluids...

Old 08-26-2016, 01:11 PM
Overlanding

Thanks all for the advice. I thought about doing the flush myself based on the write-ups here, but at the end of the day I ended up taking it to a local Aamco for full fluid/filter/pan change. They charged me about $400 for the labor and seem to know ZF's well. Should be good for a long while though I hope!

I plan on doing the transfer case and diff fluids myself this next week. It's got 117k on it, and I don't know the last time those were changed.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by skyrover
Thanks all for the advice. I thought about doing the flush myself based on the write-ups here, but at the end of the day I ended up taking it to a local Aamco for full fluid/filter/pan change. They charged me about $400 for the labor and seem to know ZF's well. Should be good for a long while though I hope!

I plan on doing the transfer case and diff fluids myself this next week. It's got 117k on it, and I don't know the last time those were changed.
When you open the front diff, be mindful of any pressure difference. If it whooshes or pops the plug off, the breather for the diff may be clogged. Good idea to change the cap for the updated version OR if you have to wait until then, just snip the top off and put the part on later. Otherwise you may fill the diff with new fluid and blow your breather off at the base... ask me how I know

Best of luck!

The following users liked this post:
skyrover (08-27-2016)

Quick Reply: Just picked up my first Land Rover!