LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Land Rover? LR3 vs Disco I vs Disco II or possibly Land Cruiser?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 08:08 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Which Land Rover? LR3 vs Disco I vs Disco II or possibly Land Cruiser?

I know there are lots of these threads, but they are pretty old and I'd like more up to date opinions. I'm in the market for a new off-road rig. It will be my DD for a short commute and will be moderately to semi-seriously modded for some back country exploration, remote camping, etc. in mountainous terrain. I have previously owned an '04 Disco II and loved it, but we sold it when it appeared it had a slipping liner. Shortly after selling we were planning on an LR3 for a family vehicle when we just couldn't find one that was right for us for the amount cash we had saved.

I am leaning toward the LR3 but I'm concerned about repairs that may come along. I am a capable mechanic, but we're making a move from Minnesota to Utah and am losing my shop space. When we land I will probably have a single stall garage and be fairly well stocked with hand tools. As the LR3 gets up there in age I'm concerned about the complexity of the suspension and the electronics and therefore constant repairs that might be tough for me to tackle. I follow bear_republic_overland on instagram and it seems like he's posting more than his fair share with his in the shop.

I know the Disco II fairly well from past ownership and I'm not intimidated by it's quirkiness. I would probably be looking for one in the '99.5 to early '01 range to have the center diff lockable just by adding a shift linkage. I would prefer to avoid the 4.6L due to the cylinder liner issues.

I don't know the Disco I well at all, I am however very much drawn to the yellow Eco Challenge models and there is currently one for sale a few hours away from me. I'm just not sure it's the right one for me. From what I've read the DII is pretty much superior in every way.

I've also been considering the 80 series Land Cruiser. I like the idea of Japanese reliability, but they are relatively expansive and just lack the character and quirkiness of a Land Rover.

Thoughts, comments, snide remarks?

Old 07-22-2017, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

I have owned 2 of the 3, the Discovery II and the LR3. I also have owned 2 RRC which are closely related to the Discovery.

The LR3 is a entirely different beast. Reliability is way up from where the D1/D2 were. Still some strange quirks to deal with and they are expensive.

Need a lift no issues I added proud rhino rods also have the Gap tool so I can adjust height electronically if I get tired of the rods.

The GAP tool is a must to me. It opens up the diagnostic world to you and ability to make changes to base settings is nice.

The ride is fantastic even lifted, and the trucks are amazingly capable with a decent set of tires. Tons of room and the Jag v8 is silky smooth.

D2 is a good solid truck that is time proven, we all know the issues with the fuse blocks, engine blocks, and driveshafts. Good examples are getting harder to find, along with ones that have been loved. They are extremely capable but smaller, and less comfortable that the LR3. Also not as good on gas. Our lifted LR3 on 32's does as well on gas as the stock D2 did.

D1 simple robust good motors and the most Land Rover of the bunch, great fun to drive and simplest to work on.

Which is best depends on who you ask and what you are wanting.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:55 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
The LR3 is a entirely different beast. Reliability is way up from where the D1/D2 were. Still some strange quirks to deal with and they are expensive.

Which is best depends on who you ask and what you are wanting.
Thanks for the reply. I am very curious how the LR3 is holding up now that they are a little long in the tooth. Have you found your LR3 to be reliable in the suspension and related electronics? The Disco is obviously a much more traditional suspension setup which I am assuming is easier to maintain. Do you feel the LR3 suspension is going to start to be problematic as it continues to age?

Old 07-23-2017, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

LR3 can be $$$$ if you aren't LR savy or don't have an iCarsoft LRII Scanner at the least to see what module is acting up. The 4.4L is a great engine, the EAS is far more reliable vs the RRC/P38 EAS days, but the LR3 does have it's faults. The lower control arm bushings go out about every 50K, TCM can get corroded and cause all sorts of Can Bus faults/failures due to the TCM's location & if the windshield cowl is warped. EAS can have issues, but it's normally pump or valve related. 05-06 models also had Diff issues.

I've owned RRC, D1, D2, P38, and an LR3. I like them all in different ways. The LR3 is my family hauler and my wife's D/D while the D1/D2's are my LR's.

I prefer the classic lines of the D1/D2 to the LR3, but when parked next to each other the LR3 looks tiny but has more usable room (especially the 3rd row vs a D1/D2 SE7. V8 wise the D1/D2 is using an engine from the 60's. It's a work horse, but it does require special attention (especially in the cooling department). The 4.4L V8 is a beast and the 6spd transmission in the LR3 really helps vs the 4spd in the D1/D2.

I totally agree on it's becoming a rare sight to see a D1/D2 in good condition on the road anymore. 75% of the ones I come across are held together with duct tape, zip ties, and can barely get out of their own way. My D1 and both my D2's are as close to new as you're gonna get and I love driving them and watching people look and try to figure out what in the world I'm driving as you just don't see that many.

My wife loves the LR3, but I wish she would get a better grasp of it's warning lights & messages. I don't know how many times she's complained about something and it's only when it won't start that she informs me.......

Just yesterday she went into town and of coarse when she should take her phone (it's normally attached to her (_!_) ) she leaves it at home. She comes back like 45min later than it should have taken and she's like we've got HDC faults, TCM faults, EAS faults, transmission faults, it wouldn't crank, then it finally did, but the engine has been racing.... Grab the old meter test the voltage with it running and it's 14.4V, turn off the LR3 and it's 13.7, 12.4, 11.2, all the way down to 10.9 = Battery is toast.

Crank it back up, (upon start up I get faults and special programs are disabled due to the low voltage) drive to Sams grab a new H8 AGM battery & boom no more faults, and when I viewed the fault history "low voltage" was the first phrase in all of them lol.

Last edited by Best4x4; 07-23-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:52 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to ask myself the same question recently. Ultimately, I landed on an 08 LR3 and, for the most part, have been thrilled with it. Everyone that has been in the LR with me has been impressed by the comfort of the ride and how solid it feels. I took it off road with a buddy of mine that has a lifted, very well built '15 4Runner and had no issues keeping up.

Now, that doesn't mean I haven't encountered some of those expensive repair cost that everyone talks about! After only having it for 6 months, I recently had to replace my radiator (not a part that typically needs replaced often), transmission cooler line (changed the fluid and did the transmission pan upgrade at the same time), upper control arms, and I just blew one of my front air springs so I replaced the two fronts with a set of arnotts.

Like others have said, an obd tool like the gap iidtool is a must for this vehicle!!

Even after all that im still very happy with my LR.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:13 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd say LR3 hands-down.

I always loved mine, but even as well as I knew my vehicles, I just got back from a road trip that casts an entirely different light on the LR3. I had an 06 sport as well, mechanically identical to the LR3, no issues, DII that I've done a ton of preventative maintenance on, also hasn't left me stranded *knocks on wood*

Anyways - just returned from an 1100 mile road trip through the famous I-64 mountains in WV/VA/KY w/ 7% grades pulling a 6000lb 30' travel trailer in 95 degrees with my 12 year old LR3 (126k miles).

Only issue was a stupid 3/8" coolant hose going to the TB heater plate which busted on the return trip (caught it immediately as I heard the belt squeaking - no overheat) which I bypassed, re-bled, and had running again in no time on the side of the highway. Hose was just soft and ready to blow anyways (I'll make a "TSB" post for everyone when I get home!)

But damn. I just can't say enough about this thing - the way it pulled 6000lb (with TONS of drag, basically a giant parachute) up those hills, some of which were 5-7 minutes on SUSTAINED 3,000rpm+ just absolutely blows my mind. Likewise, the way the air suspension handled NASTY roads, bouncy bridge joints, bottoming between hills at 65+mph, railroad crossings, doesn't matter.. you CAN'T unsettle this air suspension setup under heavy loads.

I know you said off-roading and daily driving, but I just feel more confident knowing I'm driving a glorified TANK around every day.

It's worth noting that it's also one of only 5 vehicles to receive 0 deaths per million passenger miles in an older NHTSA article (basically all cars, trucks, etc on the road.. averaged out to get comparable numbers for all) - another of the 5 was the range rover sport, which again is mechanically almost identical. So if safety is a concern, it's the only vehicle in your list that up there, and it's not just up there - it's one of the safest vehicles on the planet.

Reliability is far better, I've replaced normal stuff (starter, alternator, tie rods, ball joints, etc) but it's been impressive for a vehicle of this complexity.

Daily drivability is exceptional. It handles like a car, stops on a dime, has decent power (not days, it's not much to write home about) the ergonomics are wonderful, a million storage trays, cup holders, bins, etc. The headlights are amazing, the sound system is amazing.. overall I think you'll be happier in it. Mileage is about the only downfall, but again - it's similar to the other vehicles you mentioned, however I am fairly strict about running 93 in my LR3 where I'm not as careful in the DII.

The following 2 users liked this post by EstorilM:
Dv8er (07-26-2017), jwalk1995 (07-25-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 04:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Yeah but...it's not a 4x4!

(sorry, had to)

Hahahahaha....

The following users liked this post:
EstorilM (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 05:26 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

So Estoril, it sound like you are on the fence about the LR3...

Old 07-24-2017, 07:49 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by EastCoast
So Estoril, it sound like you are on the fence about the LR3...
Haha like I said, I always liked and respected my rovers for their capabilities, but it's only really when they take you to hell and back that you take a moment to realize just how exceptional they can be.

The trip was rather sudden, and I was trying to get an LR4 before I really took the (new to us) travel trailer on any crazy trips - but I just didn't have time. I nervously changed the oil that day and left after work, whatever happens happens right? After hours of insane mountains, thunderstorms, crazy tractor trailers, etc etc - we pulled into the Kentucky Horse Park campgrounds at 4:30am. The trip back was even worse as it was a packed Sat (during the day this time) and HOT.

Anyways, I might not go wheeling with mine, but I've had it through blizzards, creeks, floods, rescued countless cars, pulled / pushed / hauled more items than I can remember - and now this.

For the money I just don't think you can do any better - not once you toss in those polar opposite qualities such as refinement, daily drivability, safety, luxury, features, etc. Sure the new Rams are awesome tow vehicles (independent air suspension, 8 speed, awesome interiors) but they're also $50k.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Yep...not to thread-jack, but that's why I consider the LR3 to be a "special vehicle." Nothing else quite like it. Few things as capable, nothing as versatile AND...you can't buy them (new) anymore.

The following users liked this post:
EstorilM (07-27-2017)

Quick Reply: Which Land Rover? LR3 vs Disco I vs Disco II or possibly Land Cruiser?