Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR3 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/)
-   -   left rear tail light stays illuinated (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/left-rear-tail-light-stays-illuinated-57178/)

zdorfman 02-28-2013 09:32 AM

left rear tail light stays illuinated

I have a 2007 LR3. when the lights are on, the left rear tail light stay illuminated as if the brake is pushed down. the other brake lights work when the brake is pressed, but the left one stay constant.

i've replaced the bulb.
i compared the bulbs to the one on the right both bulbs have 2 filaments just as the left

not sure what the next step is.

any thoughts?

Savannah Buzz 02-28-2013 11:06 AM

Is there a "rear fog" warning switch? A number of vehicles will light a tail lamp on the left side, to prompt approaching cars to pass on that side.

bjwhite 02-28-2013 09:29 PM

Sounds like you have your rear fog light on...

houm_wa 02-28-2013 10:58 PM

sounds like he has his rear fogs on and his right side lamp is burned out!

zdorfman 03-01-2013 12:16 PM

rear fog switch is not on

thanks for the suggestions.

rear fog switch is not on. i actually didn't know that existed - i do now thanks. the right tail is definately operational and normal

the left tail / brake lights are using the brighter filament and stay lit as if the brake light is pressed.

this may be a stupid question, but is it possible to put that bulb in 180 deg from normal? causing it to light the bright filament first instead of the lower watt filament?

Savannah Buzz 03-01-2013 12:57 PM

Swap bulbs to working housing and see if problem follows. I guess a bulb could be wired wrong from factory, or failed with filament crossed over.

Note to other newbies - if you tap a bulb and it lights back up, that means the filament has spot welded back together. May not last long.

gprtech 03-01-2013 01:30 PM

My guess is that whatever electronic module controls that lamp has failed. I'm sure you guys see it all the time on newer cars, one light is on when it shouldn't be. The driver in the module has shorted, and the repair is replacing a module, so it's beyond the capability of the average DIY mechanic.

Savannah Buzz 03-01-2013 02:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
May indeed be in the central junction box, a fuse panel with microprocessors. Some lamps are relay driven, but some drive from the CJB and the FET LH and RH. Hope you'll have a module swap, the CJB looks expensive. Pages from shop wiring manual attached.

comleader 03-03-2013 07:43 AM

Anyone replaced bulbs with LED's that have the mating interface?

ktm_525 03-04-2013 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by zdorfman (Post 381945)
thanks for the suggestions.

rear fog switch is not on. i actually didn't know that existed - i do now thanks. the right tail is definately operational and normal

the left tail / brake lights are using the brighter filament and stay lit as if the brake light is pressed.

this may be a stupid question, but is it possible to put that bulb in 180 deg from normal? causing it to light the bright filament first instead of the lower watt filament?

Yes. I noticed the same thing when recently repalcing a brake light. Remove, twist 180 and put it back. For the record I have a Canadian enabled LR# so I am running DRL's . This means the rear running lights are always on. When I first put in the replacement bulb the brake light was always on. I rotated the bulb 180 and all was good.

YMMV.