LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

light bar cabling

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 02:19 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default light bar cabling

I'm planning to attach my LED light bars and CD antenna to the Baja roof rack on the LR3.
For those of you with roof mounted electronics, how did you go about routing the cables into the cabin?

Old 02-02-2015, 02:53 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

on lr3 i am thinking you can run the front lite wiring under the plastic a pillar covers, just need to find a grommet to sneek em through the firewall

Old 02-02-2015, 09:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

I know there is one...I have on-board air and the wire goes along the door sills and out a grommet in the firewall. A friend helped me wire it (he did all the work, and I went on a beer run...but I did watch him!)

Old 02-03-2015, 03:01 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
I know there is one...I have on-board air and the wire goes along the door sills and out a grommet in the firewall. A friend helped me wire it (he did all the work, and I went on a beer run...but I did watch him!)
Whats up man! I'm trying to do the same thing with 4 Hells lights. Want to join me sometime I'm Greenwood and figure the wiring out together? I have good beer haha

Old 02-03-2015, 07:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

Are you looking for the best way to get wire from the cabin into the engine bay or the best way to get wire to roof? Or both?

To get wire from the cab into the engine bay, there is a grommet already on the driver's side near the brake booster. You have to take the cover off the aux battery box and use a flashlight to look behind the ABS pump. I believe (if I remember correctly) that the grommet is just to the outside (driver's side) of the brake booster. You have to use an awl or something to punch through so that you'll be able to see it from inside the cab. I can get you better pictures if you have trouble finding it.

To get wires to the roof, I used two different methods:

1. From the engine bay... I snaked 2 x 16awg? cables back behind the ABS pump, underneath the windshield cowling, and then up behind the exterior A pillar/windshield trim. Removing the trim can be a little difficult, but it's not too bad. At the top, you need to make a sharp left bend with the wires and then a sharp right bend to run them into the roof gutter/channel. This is why I couldn't run any thicker gauge. There is plenty of room behind the windshield trim, but it got very tricky to run it into and through the roof gutter. Then, I just drilled a hole in the molding that sits in the roof channel and brought the wire up through there at one of the locations where I have a foot for my roof rack. I think it looks pretty clean.

2. In the rear, I simply brought the wire out behind the rear taillight (in my case the passenger side taillight), snaked it up by the tailgate weatherstripping and up to the roof that way. I grounded my light to one of the ground/bonding lugs that you can see at the top of the tailgate.

Again, I can try to take some pics if it helps.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:48 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Oasisplayer311
Whats up man! I'm trying to do the same thing with 4 Hells lights. Want to join me sometime I'm Greenwood and figure the wiring out together? I have good beer haha

Yeah we'll have to do that! Hit Chuck's or Naked City....

Old 02-03-2015, 01:36 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Yeah we'll have to do that! Hit Chuck's or Naked City....
Haven't been to Chicks yet, but love Naked City! Plus, you could help out a electrically challenged person like myself haha

Old 02-03-2015, 05:38 PM
Camel Trophy

Dude...I'm electrically challenged too. I'd be there for moral support and "oh yeah, I think that that's where that goes!" sort of stuff. I have some very handy Rover-buddies in the area though. They'll do most anything for pizza and beer.

...jokes aside, I do think I can help with this. It's not that tough I don't think.

Chuck's is like a glorified mini-mart that sells a ridiculous variety of craft beer, and has a little sitting area. They poor draft beer too and fill growlers. Places like that are popping up all over the place.