Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR3 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/)
-   -   LR3 Brake Upgrade? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/lr3-brake-upgrade-93083/)

Daniel-LR3 01-21-2019 11:23 PM

Thank you LR!
My understanding is that the RRS and LR3 have the same brakes, with the exception of the front Rotors, which are larger to accommodate the Brembo Caliper. The rears are the same, AFAIK...

loanrangie 01-21-2019 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel-LR3 (Post 677410)
Thank you LR!
My understanding is that the RRS and LR3 have the same brakes, with the exception of the front Rotors, which are larger to accommodate the Brembo Caliper. The rears are the same, AFAIK...

Yes, so the calipers are spaced out further hence the need for the V8 carriers.

Bullpup 11-22-2020 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by loanrangie (Post 677411)
Yes, so the calipers are spaced out further hence the need for the V8 carriers.

I am sorry but I do not understand the reference to the "V8 carriers" unless you are talking about the knuckles. So just to be clear, the Brembo RRS caliper will bolt up to the LR3 HSE knuckle without any modification using the RRS rotor which fits over the LR3 HSE hub. Is this correct?

Will the Brembos fit under the standard 19" LR3 HSE wheels?

Thanks in advance.

Miguel987 09-14-2023 11:47 AM

Range Rover brakes on LR3

Originally Posted by Daniel-LR3 (Post 677410)
Thank you LR!

Were you able to put the larger calipers on the Lr3? I’ve done some basic research and it looks like it’s a bolt on upgrade except for the larger rotors. I am thinking of doing this too since the stock brakes or not great.

tracyc 09-21-2023 10:30 AM

I'd also like to hear more about this, as the LR3 brakes aren't particular great in stock form. I haven't researched it myself, but it does make sense to me that the SC caliper brackets would also be needed, as mentioned above...

Miguel987 09-21-2023 11:53 AM

Brakes

Originally Posted by tracyc (Post 877421)
I'd also like to hear more about this, as the LR3 brakes aren't particular great in stock form. I haven't researched it myself, but it does make sense to me that the SC caliper brackets would also be needed, as mentioned above...

I ended up getting a set of the front Brembo calipers from eBay for a little under 300. I was planning on refurbishing them but they are in such great shape that I now plan on just putting them on. In a couple of weeks I plan to do the job so keep in tune, I’ll see if the switch is as easy as it seems.

kajtzu 09-21-2023 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bullpup (Post 750833)
I am sorry but I do not understand the reference to the "V8 carriers" unless you are talking about the knuckles. So just to be clear, the Brembo RRS caliper will bolt up to the LR3 HSE knuckle without any modification using the RRS rotor which fits over the LR3 HSE hub. Is this correct?.

The D3 2.7 diesel has smaller caliper carriers than the D3 4.4 liter V8. This is a distinction that is relevant in other parts of the world than North America, I think, since you never had the diesel. This affects clearance, however, as the diesel can fit 17” rims while the V8 petrol has a 18” minimum.

DakotaTravler 09-21-2023 04:08 PM

I am going to clarify the above a little here. The calipers are identical in size, the only differences are the caliper brake and rotors. So if you have the smaller brackets and smaller rotors, you need to swap those, not entire calipers. But as said, in NA markets, I too believe only one size of rotors and caliper brackets are used being there was only the V6 and V8 petrol engines and probably why there were no 17" wheels to be found in the NA market also.

Miguel987 09-21-2023 04:20 PM

Brembo Brakes

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...d4e3228ac.jpeg
Here is an example of brembo brakes. I just looked up Range Rover brembo brakes so these are probably not the model that fit the LR3. Brembo brakes do away with caliper brackets or caliper carriers. Just a massive thing that straddles the disk and bolts on where the bracket/carriers do.

kajtzu 09-21-2023 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Miguel987 (Post 877458)
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...d4e3228ac.jpeg
Here is an example of brembo brakes. I just looked up Range Rover brembo brakes so these are probably not the model that fit the LR3. Brembo brakes do away with caliper brackets or caliper carriers. Just a massive thing that straddles the disk and bolts on where the bracket/carriers do.

I think those are the 4 pot Brembos, there is an even larger caliper with 6 pots. Both can be made fit, the rims will be rather limited and you might need spacers.